Thursday, March 6, 2008

Halloween: Past and Yet to Come

Here in the Runyan household we take Halloween very seriously. We think all year about what we are going to be, get really excited about it, and then make my mom do all the work.
See my mom is an EXCELLENT seamstress. She is also very kind. And every year, save our first Halloween with Capri when were stupid enough to turn down her offer, she has sewn the kids Halloween costumes. This has resulted in some AMAZING costumes. Jeff and I are responsible for our own, meaning they aren't nearly as good.

The first year mom sewed for us she made Capri a Snow White costume. Halloween was on a sunday that year so Jeff didn't really want to dress up. But Capri still knocked everybody dead in her dress.

BubbleShare: Share photos - green toy news


The next year we had a circus theme and Rome and Capri stopped the show in their elephant and lion costumes.

BubbleShare: Share photos - Find great Clip Art Images.


Next we chose The Wizard of Oz. You wouldn't have believed how much attention Capri and Rome got. Especially since Capri, being as comitted to Halloween as Jeff and I are, wore an incredibly cute wig I found with curls and pigtails.

BubbleShare: Share photos - Find great Clip Art Images.


Last year we decided to do Alice in Wonderland. Again, mom's costumes stole the day. And Capri "wigged" it up once more.

BubbleShare: Share photos - Play some Online Games.


Literally the day after last Halloween we started talking about what to do this year. Yesterday we came up with two really viable options: Peter Pan and Snow White. Nothing has been decided yet. As mom put it while we were visiting in Cali, "If there is a pattern for it I can sew it. But there MUST be a pattern." Also, it must never, ever be something as tricky as that elephant costume was!

5 luvs:

Emily said...

I always look forward to your Halloween pictures :)

Aby Runyan said...

Em,
thanks to you I finally figured out how to make those slideshows work!! You are a blogging genius!
luvs!

Erin said...

You guys are over the top! I can't believe that she made all those costumes, awesome. We were thinking about having the kids be Peter Pan and Tinkerbell. I bought a Tinkerbell pattern but I am sure it will not be nearly as cute as anything your mom makes.

Alonso Family said...

i have always loved your halloween pics and been amazed at the cute costumes you come up with, but i never knew your mom was behind so many of them. quite the talent she has!

Merinda Cutler said...

You guys are amazing! We've only done family-themed costumes twice, and very roughly. When Isaac was a newborn we went to Taco Bell and got a bunch of burrito wrappers and wrapped him up in them to make a baby burrito and we put hats and polos on with Taco Bell logos so we were Taco Bell workers. Then when our two oldest were toddlers, we dressed them up as monsters and let them pull us around by ropes with signs on our chests that read "Monster's Slave." Ha ha. You can't accuse us of not being cheesy (as if anyone had any doubt)! I'll anxiously await the news about what the Runyans choose to be this year!