We started on the day school SHOULD start, the day after Labor Day.
Our classroom
I wanted to paint our basement off-white before we started school. It didn't happen, yet.
Our theme for the year is "Learn and Grow". I love the quote on the right from Elder Russell M. Nelson. In case you can't read it, it says "Your mind is precious! It is sacred. Therefore, the education of one's mind is also sacred. Indeed, education is a religious responsibility."
Book bins
Very excited littles!
Finding their desks
We started with the pledge and then an opening prayer.
Organizing supplies
Storytime
Art project - "I Spy" covers on their new sketch books
Puzzles and games
Recess
Math
Sign language
We also went swimming for PE. Then it was back home to write in journals and clean up the classroom.
It was a really good first day. After a year of deliberating whether we should do homeschooling, months of worrying if we were making the right decision (and hearing everybody's opinion about it), and weeks of pre-school nervousness (from me) it all went off without a hitch. For our family, I know we've made the right decision to try this out for the year. If all goes well, and we want to continue, the kids will go back to public school at grade 7. Homeschool will continue to be the kids choice. If one wants to go back to public school before then, they will. If Sable wants to go to Kindergarten at public school, she will.
For now, we're happy with our decision and looking forward to the future!

4 luvs:
Aby, That's so awesome that you are homeschooling! You will love it! Don't stress to much, just enjoy being with your kids! I love homeschooling my kids, it's a joy to see them learn and discover new things.
You are even more officially my hero. I lay awake nights dreaming about homeschooling some little people I love, and I'm only a few months into the game! It just seems like such a lovely way to do things, if it's a good fit for everyone involved, of course (as you so eloquently and tactfully describe). Please please post lots of your ideas so I can stash them away in my storming brain for when I, hopefully, get my chance! Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted!
I love it! Did I mention that?
xoxo
I support you homeschooling. Awesome. Enjoy.
Holy cow....who are you? I feel like I hardly know you anymore. I never even knew you thought about homeschooling and here you are...wow! I am almost speechless. Of course, you will do an amazing job and your littles will just thrive with you as their teacher. They look like the happiest kids in the world. Your basement looks perfect for it, too. Mindy's sister-in-law that's in my ward, homeschools and they have the most fabulous kids. I am sure you will work wonders. Good luck and have fun!
Post a Comment