Friday, November 4, 2011

Scrumdiddlyumptious

Halloween 2011
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

The Cast:

Rome as Charlie Bucket





Jeff as Willy Wonka



Sable as an Oompa Loompa



Capri as Violet Beauregarde



Oz as Mike Teevee



And Aby as Grandpa Joe





I dedicate my performance to my brother Josh, who's love for Grandpa Joe knows no bounds. Wait. Did I say love? I meant hate. His hate of Grandpa Joe knows no bounds.

When trying to come up with our costume theme for this year, we re-visited the idea of Willy Wonka. I've always wanted to dress Jeff up as Willy Wonka, but other than his character we could never figure out who would be who. This year, I mentioned the idea to the kids and Rome got really excited at the prospect of being Charlie. Then I thought, "And I can be Grandpa Joe. That will KILL Josh. We must do it." The girls got excited too and just like that we had our theme.
I'll say that hands down this was my favorite costume ever. Jeff said a couple times that I looked just a little too much like Grandpa Joe.



Off to the factory for LOTS of candy!



Capri wins the award for most uncomfortable costume. But she was a great blueberry and didn't complain. She got quite a lot of attention actually, everybody knew exactly who she was.



Oz was an extremely dedicated trick-or-treater. I was sure he'd get his first piece of candy and then throw a fit when I didn't let him eat it immediately. Instead, he picked up on the task for the night right away. He kept up with the kids and wanted to hold his heavy treat bucket all night.



A lot of people have asked me where I get the costumes every year. While I can sew, I am not a pattern follower. For Halloween, I spend the month of October visiting every thrift store, garage sale, etc. that I come across. After hunting down my list of items I take those and alter/change/sew whatever is needed. For example, Sable's pants are actually baseball pants that I added to. Oz's shirt was a women's size so I whittled it down and added the fringe. I also make items from scratch. I so wanted to just find a top hat for Jeff to wear, but of course could not so I had to make it. It was my most dreaded project but I was really happy with how it came out.



Sable was by far the cutest Oompa Loompa ever.



Happy with their hauls







Happy Halloween!

(new posts below)

6 luvs:

Every Star Is Different said...

Our whole family looked at all the pictures and watched the videos. Jason is still laughing at Jeff. Owen's trying to learn everyone's names. Looks like you had a great night! Great job on the costumes!

S.A.R. said...

These costumes are amazing! I love them! You are so creative.

Alonso Family said...

Absolutely Fantastic!!!! How are you ever going to top this one, my dear? You've certainly got your work cut out for you for the years to come, but I have a feeling you'll continue to amaze us all! Can you believe my kids have never seen this show, now I have to go find it at the library this week. Happy Halloween!

lisey said...

AWESOME costume idea!

Heather said...

I look forward to seeing your costumes every year. These were my favorites! You are so crazy talented--and everyone looked fabulous. Nicely done, Aby!

Josh said...

These do look amazing. Jeff is a perfect Wonka. And frankly your Grandpa Joe is spot on, for which you should be concerned, as there is a very good chance he has no soul and is the epitome of self-serving deception. Just something to think about :)