Lately I've read several friends blogs where they have really opened up and shared something personal.
While I tend to think of myself as an open book, I know I haven't done that for a looooong time.
So here it goes.
I suffer from something called Body Dismorphic Disorder, or BDD. If you read the description on Wikipedia, please know that my case is mild. No - I've never contemplated hurting myself, I'm not on any medication. I never stopped living my life or taking care of my children EVER.
BDD is something that has been with me for as long as I can remember, except till recently I didn't have a name for it. BDD is commonly associated with the face, and a person's unjustified (or sometimes justified just greatly exaggerated) view of a "flaw" on their face or skin.
For me, it started with the circles under my eyes. I was born with them, they are not due to not getting enough sleep. They are totally permanent. Many times in my life, I've had somebody mention them to me. Once in high school, while waiting in line in the cafeteria, and upperclassmen asked me if I was on drugs.
That was rough.
Eventually I mostly accepted that those circles were a part of me and I began to ignore them.
Then I got pregnant with Sable. Suddenly I realized that two patches of darkened skin had showed up on my upper lip. To me, they looked an awful lot like a mustache. A horribly permanent "mustache" that still remains even though Sable is now 2.
This is where you say, "Get over it Aby." Who cares! You have nothing to worry about! There are people out there with REAL problems, REAL facial issues, REAL things to fret about.
Yes. You are absolutely right. I agree with you! That's what my rational mind tells me. Yet every time I would see those spots, I would think "I am the ugliest person in the world. I upset people when I walk in a room. I make them sick."
Again, yes, I agree this is dumb.
Last year, around this time I sunk deeper into BDD and my own self-loathing. I could not even think about myself. It brought me to tears. A good friend tried so hard to help me. I hope she knows that her McDonald's conversations were oh so appreciated.
The problem was that there was NO amount of "Aby you look just fine" that could snap me out of it.
Here's what finally did.
First, last September I was called as the chorister in the Primary. This is BY FAR the hardest calling I have ever had. I am totally and completely not musical. I love music, but know very little about the technical aspects of it. When I was called, I laughed then cried on the inside.
OH the embarrassment it would entail! I would have to stand in front of all those staring eyes, most horribly - adult eyes.
Yet I accepted, and told myself I would do my best. No matter how hard I shook why trying to lead the music. And shake I did.
Second, last December we visited my parents house for the Holidays. They had Rock Band 2 and wanted to get Jeff to play. Surprisingly, Jeff was cautious about playing at first. I found myself taking the mic, burying myself in a corner and sort-of singing.
Then I found myself begging everybody to play.
OK, so why did these two things "save" me.
The Lord knew I needed to be completely thrown out of my comfort zone. So he threw me into being a Primary chorister. It was so awfully embarrassing for SO many months. I made SO many mistakes (and still do). But as time went by, I shook less and less and learned more and more.
Rock Band also threw me out of my comfort zone. It was something that usually I wouldn't have allowed myself to do and enjoy. Suddenly I wanted to play all the "instruments", I wanted to sing at the top of my lungs. I wanted to be free of my own self and try on another personality.
I'm not going to say that I am cured. BDD is something I struggle with every single day. Some days are better than others. Today I felt a lot of eyes on my face, it was very hard.
Why am I sharing this? Is it for compliments? Certainly not! And I also secretly hope that nobody goes searching for my flaws the next time they talk to me.
I share it because maybe there is somebody reading this that shares this problem. Somebody who doesn't know how to look at themselves in the mirror without wanting to cry. That maybe by reading this they will feel a little hope. And maybe, they will try to look outside of themselves for an answer.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Opening Up
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 luvs:
Aby this was so interesting to me. I had no idea. I hate having a mental issue. I have never heard of yours, and I don't know what it's like, and I'm sorry. But I AM thinking "WHAT? Snap out of it, Aby!" ;)
I am so glad that you are at a place now where you can talk about it. The Lord works in mysterious ways, doesn't he?
Also I love Rock Band!
Oh, and have you seen the dark circles under my eyes??? Yeah, I have my grandpa to thank for those. :)
I love knowing as much as possible about my friends, especially their struggles. It makes such a difference in the friendship and makes special moments even more special, because we both KNOW how we really feel. That makes all the difference in the world! You know I love ya!
I love you love you love you! AND, you have figured it all out without spending hundreds of dollars on meds and therapy....you are way ahead of me sista!!!!! dang! so proud of you.
i'm glad you know your worth...this is a huge post. every woman needs to read it.
I'm glad you were in the Primary with me so that I could have a chance to meet you. Honestly, unless I'm mistaken as well, I don't think you made any mistakes. I feel like you totally got those kids pumped up to sing. I mean, come one, you know they loved "Called to Serve" because of you. I will always remember that.
Aby, thanks for sharing your struggles girlfriend.
First, let me say that the circles under Barr eyes (my maiden name) are like crop circles in the night - so tremendous that they can only be seen in their entirety from a helicopter.
I went into the Body Shop on the plaza for a refill on my make-up and the lady working there that day boldly mentioned that they have a great new cover-up for under-eye circles.
Thanks lady, does that come with a side of kooth?
2nd - I know just how you feel about your calling. I experienced the same fright when I was called to be chorister. while you aren't looking for compliments, I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to shower you with them.
We love what you do every Sunday in Primary. We love how creative you are. I adore that you teach with a sincere love for the children that shines through in all you do. You are tender and kind in approach to rowdy kids and you share with them the gospel not just in song, but with your example as well.
3 - I promise that I've never noticed anything mistakes or blemishes, just really great shoes!
Love Ya.
You're amazing. I have never noticed either of these "flaws" that you speak of, but I know that I can't talk you out of how you feel. But you ARE beautiful, and I'm sure you're doing a dynamite job as the chorister and a rockstar.
I am so happy for you that you have finally found something to help get over this. I remember being the one to tell you that "you look fine" all the time but you never believed me. I have yet to discover Rock Band btw but would love to one day do that with you, it sounds like so much fun.
Getting out of that comfort zone is hard but always so worth it. I share the following just because I think we all have these moments although they might vary in severity but when I swam, I always felt so self concious about my hips and huge shoulders/wingspan but standing in your swim suit on a block in front of the whole world forced me out of my confort zone...big time. Of course, I couldn't wait to get into the protection of the pool to cover me up somewhat. I even think this might have had something to do with me being a backstroker, I got to get in the water right away rather then bend over with my butt up in the air for all to see:) We all just figure out our own ways of dealing with it, I guess.
So rock on little rocker girl! Much love to you!
I didn't know anything about that, Aby. I know I can't change the way you look at yourself, but I just want you to know that everyone else only sees your lovliness. Seriously, you always seems so polished and beautiful. Why is it always easier to see our own flaws than our beauty?? Anyway, just wanted you to know you beautiful and loved you are!!
Love, K
Thanks for sharing. LUVS!
Post a Comment