Admittedly I am VERY behind in posting. My Christmas Eve, Christmas & California posts are still works in progress. But they ARE coming for those who have asked me REPEATEDLY where in the world they are.
My two favorite holidays are the Fourth of July and Valentines Day. They are both so wonderfully simple and gorgeous. After feeling like the Grinch all Christmas, I welcomed Valentines Day with open arms and plenty of luvs.
V-day preparations started with getting to make Valentines for Capri's kindergarten class. We decided to make "crayon cakes" for her cards, instead of candy since I figured they'd all get plenty of that. I WISH I'd gotten a pic of the crayon cake making process, every single member of the family helped. We literally peeled hundreds of crayons to get enough for her whole class to have 3 cakes a piece. This time we had Jeff's help, and he came up with the BRILLIANT idea to use a razor blade to cut down the wrapper of each crayon. Then the wrapper was so easy to take off, even Sable could do it.
I was really surprised to look into Capri's Valentine box at her class party and see that there was only ONE other homemade Valentine from a classmate. The rest were the store bought kind. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical of buying Valentines. I was just surprised. I made EVERY single Valentine I ever took to school. I just figured that was how most were done. Guess not!
The day before Valentines Day, we had a little party. I told Capri, Rome and Sable they could each invite 2 friends to come do crafts, decorate cupcakes, and play. Capri chose her cousin Audree, and her friend Emma. Rome chose his cousins Anders and Ammon. Sable of course had only ONE friend request, her cousin Aubrey.
For Valentines I always make presents for the littles. I figure it's the very best way I can show just how much I love them. This year I suggested to Jeff that we also make our presents for each other. He was more than happy to do it, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it sooner.
So Saturday, while I was throwing the kiddie V-day party, and for hours before and after - Jeff was outside in the back yard toiling away on "my present". All I knew was that I was banned from looking outside, there was mud involved, and that "it's not going so well". When the light was totally gone he finally revealed what he'd been working on. A greenhouse made out of PVC pipe and construction plastic. Only the FIRST one he made, fell apart and he'd had to start over.
There was no possible way I could have been more touched, or felt more loved.
Truly, he'd spent his WHOLE day doing this. Just for me and my long dream of having a garden in the backyard. We have SO many critters that we've never put one in knowing it would just get eaten up. So he figured, greenhouse. Who knows if it'll ever work, but it doesn't really matter. I know my Jeffy loves me. THAT is what matters.
On Valentines Day, we went to church and then did presents and dinner that night.
For Capri I made more felt food for the kitchen (YES, pictures are coming of that). I made gingerbread men cookies, spaghetti with meatballs, quesadilla, and a turkey dinner.
I made Rome 10 beanbags and put them in a cute plastic bin. Beanbags are so fun and can be used for lots of things. They use them the library story time a lot and he always loves when they get to toss them around.
Sable got play makeup. NO I didn't make the super cute bag, that's from the dollar store. I was going to make one, but then saw this and figured it was too cute to pass up. The makeup is made by emptying out old makeup containers and pouring fingernail polish in the wells. It works great and looks VERY real. Just a caution in case you want to try and make some - make sure you have several days to let it dry completely and for the smell to dissipate.
The littles made Jeff a huge card with a message made of candy. They helped me come up with the message and Capri did all the writing.
Apparently Jeff and I really do think exactly the same because he also had the littles make me a giant card - out of white poster board too.
The ONE thing I had been thinking sadly about Jeff and I making each others presents was that it meant I would not be getting roses. You have to understand, Jeff has given me flowers (usually roses, my favorite) for every Valentines Day since we've met. Without him knowing I'd been thinking about this, he made me these:
Tissue paper roses. The streak continues.
For Jeff I found as many of his mission letters as I could in the garage and put them in a nice scrapbook. They'd been in a sticky page album and the letters were starting to adhere to the glue. He loved it and now they are inside where they belong and can be read anytime.
For dinner I made pasta fagoli (pasta with beans), caprese (tomato with mozzarella), bread, and cantaloupe with prosciutto (Italian ham). It was all quite delicious.
luvs!
Friday, February 26, 2010
Valentines Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 luvs:
You posted!!! Mags and I were just talking tonight that it had been ages since you did any updating! You just saved yourself a stern phone call from me :) Glad to hear things are going well in the Runyan home. Loved all your cute homemade Valentines. What a LOVE-ly family you are!
You are such a good mom Aby! I have been wanting to make felt food and play makeup for Kate and have not done it yet. I wish I lived closer to you so that we could craft together.
Want to know what I did for V Day? NOTHING! I know you did not get you creativity from me - you are an impressive kid, Kiddo!
the test of a great mom is if your kids know that they are loved...so yeah I think this means you are one of the greatest ever! love you!
Post a Comment