Today I am the winner of what my friend Erin likes to call, "Mom of the Year". I get this extra special award because Sable's noggin took another hit when she fell down the stairs leading off our deck. There are about 5 stairs, and it ends in a concrete slab. I didn't see it happen, I was making lunch and she scurried outside through the open sliding glass door. A few seconds later I heard Rome, who was outside, yell and I knew what had happened. There she lay, crying, beside the steps on the ground. In my head she was on the grass, but honestly it's all a bit of a blur and so she may have been on the concrete.
Now, she has a circular mark on her head about the size of a cups base. It hasn't swollen at all, she never threw-up, and she never lost consciousness. In fact she cried less then she did when she fell out of the McDonald's highchair (onto VERY hard tile) I neglected to buckle her into. I earned "Mom of the Year" that day too.
This all happened after Jeff saying just 2 days ago that Sable CAN'T be out on the deck because she was GOING to fall off. And me saying, NO she won't. And she REALLY wants to be out there with the kids, and don't worry cause I WAS WATCHING HER. I guess the cosmos couldn't wait to make me eat my words on that one.
So even though she's been acting completely normal all day since the accident, I took her (along with Rome and Capri) to Urgent Care. After a 45 min. wait, including 3 minutes with a nurse, we finally got into a room. There I was handed a stack of papers to fill out, on top was a sheet that showed our priority level and the amount of time we could expect to wait in that room. I nearly dropped dead when I saw it read, "60 - 120 minutes". Yea, right I thought - we'll never make it!! At that point Sable had entered her most wiggly state, Capri was deafening us all with her new thing of nearly SHOUTING everything she says, and even Rome (my rock) was getting ansy. Needless to say, I won another award when I decided to forget about medical care and leave.
Of course at that point I was quite sure that once the doctor finally DID get into the room the "medical care" would go something like this:
Doctor: So she hit her head today.
Me: (Embarassed) Yeah. She fell down the steps off our deck.
Doctor: Has she vomited today, or passed out?
Me: No, she's been acting totally normal. I was just worried (and feeling like a HORRIBLE parent, and frankly need some reassurance).
Doctor: Ok, well she looks fine. Watch and see if she acts funny and then call the nurse line. Have a good day!
Me: Oh, ok.
So we left.
Erin, you can ship my award straight to my house. I'll be there, installing the new baby gate I bought today for the deck. Hindsight, as you may know, truly is 20/20.
Friday, August 29, 2008
Sable's Poor, Poor, Poor Head: Part 2
Posted by Aby Runyan at 4:23 PM
Labels: Sable, The Littles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 luvs:
So sad about poor Sable's big fall. I suppose we all earn the "mother of the year award" once in a while. I hope Sable is doing better soon.
Poor Sable. My little brother had three sets of stitches within two months (only 18 months old). They were all on his head. I think they're just accident-proned at that age.
Post a Comment