Saturday, September 5, 2009

Capri's Concert

Anybody who knows Capri even just a little bit, knows that she sings for at least 95% of the day. She sings songs she knows well and songs she knows only a couple words to - repeating it over and over. But mostly she sings songs that she makes up on the spot. MANY times I've been asked by relatives, friends and even strangers "What is she singing?" Nearly always, I say something like "Ummm, she's singing?" That's cause it's such a part of everyday life that I don't always hear it. Then I'll listen and say "Oh, she's just making something up."

Many times, I've been told that Capri has real talent. This is odd since Jeff and I are about as far from having any musical talent that two people could be. When I was called to be the Primary Chorister I laughed, honestly thinking the bishopric counselor was kidding. Then when I realized he was serious, I nearly cried.

Because Jeff and I are largely unskilled when it comes to music - although we both love to fake it and live vicariously through our Rock Band personas - we don't really know what to do with Capri. I'm not the type to push a kid into an activity, and Capri has made it clear she wants no after school activities this year.

Mainly we just try to enjoy (sometimes endure when she's been singing ALL day and I've said "CAPRI!!" for the umpteenth time trying to get her attention) her singing. She LOVES to give concerts, they aren't a daily affair though. She plans them out, makes invitations, decorates and puts a costume together. Rome is recruited as roadie and guitarist. He's happy to take "side stage" to his big sister.

Here are a couple of songs from Capri's last "concert". Remember, these are not real songs - they're just made up on the spot.

Enjoy the dancing naked baby as well.



6 luvs:

The Clarks said...

That's hilarious, Aby. Do you listen to a lot of country? Is country her style of choice? It's really funny how she kind of tells a story as she goes. What an outgoing girl she's turning out to be! :) Oh, and I think you and Jeff can rock the mike just fine. :) Love ya, K

Jan said...

I remember putting on concerts when I was little except my friends and I did not make up our songs. We lip-synced to our favorite records. Our stage was Sue Ann's side porch. Capri's events are much more impressive!

Oh, by the way, what is she wearing on her right arm?

Alonso Family said...

she is totally country! I love it, now Elora and Natty are wanting to put on their own concerts. it's kind of funny cause Natty just recently convinced Grandma to buy her a guitar although I kept telling her the old "maybe for Christmas." she had been obsessing to me about it for weeks and happens to mention it to my Mother and next thing you know she has one...that Mother of mine.

anyway, i have a feeling my girls concert will feature songs that they know rather then make up. that really is a whole other ball game of talent to make up words and a tune...very impressive, Capri!

oh, and I did enjoy the naked dancing baby very much as well and Romes "air" guitar moves:)

Jeanie Anderson said...

Hey Aby, You need to come down to see us in Branson and we can take Capri to some shows! Maybe she has a future in this town.

Brandi Hastings said...

Aby, she's got skilz! How adorable. How is she liking Kindergarten? Logan is loving it!

Every Star Is Different said...

I did try to write a comment about this post a long time ago, but my computer froze. I don't really remember everything about the post, and don't have a lot of time to watch the videos again, but I remember Sable being ESPECIALLY cute and noticing that a bit of nasalness in Capri's singing voice, which is completely normal, but super annoying. It will probably be the first thing an instructor would work on with her. Not to say the videos were annoying or listen to Capri was annoying. It was very cute and she definitely has talent! Of course you know I think that already. Anyways, I don't remember what else I was going to write. Can't wait to chat again!