Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Silver Dollar Anniversary


On September 8th, Jeff and I celebrated 8 married years together.

We concluded that 8 years is a good amount. More than many make it, and we're still going strong. We told each other "I love you". Course we say that to each other every day, at least a dozen times.

That day, I woke up to roses and a card with Jeff's trademark swirly writing - I LOVE getting cards from Jeff. He's the master.

Later, we went out for dinner at Outback of all places and have since said we won't be back, maybe ever. We had a great time together, but the place just isn't worth the money.

Our REAL anniversary celebration was a week later when we went for our FIRST ever trip away from the kids. Seriously, we'd never both left them before overnight - or even for more than maybe 5 hours. We were excited yet wary. Not because we didn't think they'd have a great time, time spent with Mar-Mar and Aunt Katie is always time well spent, but because of how WE felt about leaving them.

I cried. I tried hard not to. But I did.

And then we set off to Silver Dollar City. We'd been saying for a LONG time that we wanted to go by ourselves and take the Lantern Tour in Marvel Cave. It's a special tour after the last tour of the day. You have to sign up and pay an extra fee, but you get to go in the cave with all the lights off with only the light of lanterns. There are different guides and they tell lots more stories than on the regular tour. Best of all, they take you into the Mammoth room - part of the cave you don't get to see on the regular tour. We were also anxious to see the bats, hopefully lots of them.
The tour didn't disappoint. But I was an idiot and didn't get a single picture, I was too excited I guess. We each got our own lantern and down we went. It was truly amazing to be in the cave without all the normal lights, somehow you felt like you were able to see even more. Then the guides started in on the ghost stories. Whew. I do NOT like spooky stuff, so this was ROUGH for me. My Dad could tell you about being in Edinburgh, Scotland and the family wanting to go on one of the many ghost tours they have there. I REFUSED to go. My Dad, who is a GOOD Dad, took me instead to see Jurrasic Park 2 while my Mom and brothers went on the tour.
Back to the cave. Even with the ghost stories, and there were a BUNCH of them, I still loved the tour. I've loved going into caves my whole life, and Marvel Cave is truly amazing. I very much wanted to see some bats, preferably hundreds of them just hanging out. This didn't happen, instead we saw maybe 5 that took flight once we'd enter a dark room with our lanterns. Still cool.

We watched sorghum being made, Jeff was in HEAVEN. I'm not joking here. He has been wanting to watch this for months. We were both shocked by how much juice is actually squeezed out of the reeds.


Having no kids with us gave us the chance to read every sign, go into every shop, and check every nook and cranny of one of our favorite places to be. And we seriously DID read every sign, went into every store and checked out every nook and cranny of SDC. It was awesome, but at the same time we kept saying "The kids would LOVE this."


OK, so I didn't get the best pictures ever. But without kids, you kind of forget to.


But we did get a video of us dancing a jig. Enjoy.

8 luvs:

elizabeth said...

Happy Anniversary! I love that you love Silver Dollar City so much. We probably should have gone there sometime.

Rachel Kirkham said...

The Jig might be my favorite thing ever.

Lewis Family said...

You guys are very cute!

Every Star Is Different said...

Okay, I hope I remember everything I wanted to say as I was reading this. First, you look ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL in the picture of you and Jeff at the beginning of the blog. Seriously, I think that's my new favorite picture of you.

Jeff really is quite the romantic isn't he? I know Jason has it in him, but I'm too practical to let it out, but still... I think he could use some pointers from Jeff. Our anniversary is next week, October 8th. We have no plans. That's one of the long days where Jason won't be home until about 10:30 PM.

I'm so glad you too had so much fun together on your trip. I do have one question. What exactly is sorghum? One of the alternatives to wheat and oats etc. is sorghum flour. I've not purchased it because I don't know what it is, but it's used in a lot of gluten free recipes. Now I have someone to ask!

Okay, I think that was everything. Definitely enjoyed Jeff dancing the jig. I'll have to show Jason that one for sure!

Well worth waiting so long for the post!

Emily said...

Awwww! I love you guys!!! I love how much fun you have together. Happy, happy anniversary to one of my favorite couples!

The Clarks said...

Aby, I'm so happy that you two were able to go on a vacation alone. I know it's hard not to cry and talk about the kids the whole time, but I think it's important to have "adult-only" time as well. You guys look like you had a blast, and the lantern tour sounds awesome! TJ and I LOVE ghost stories, scary movies, and anything scary in general, so I'm going to have to check that out. It's SO much fun to be scared! :) You guys seem so happy and cheerful and I just love this post. I'm glad you were able to pore over SDC in a way you can't when kids are present, and I hope that you two had a wonderful anniversary, it certainly seems like you did! Hopefully the kids did well while you were gone so you can erase any guilt about leaving them. Here's to many more SDC vacations for the two of you! :) Love, K

Heather said...

Happy Anniversary! Time alone is tough, but SO needed. You miss the kids, but it makes you remember why you married this person. That there is more to you than "Mommy" and "Daddy" (albeit not much).

Alonso Family said...

Happy 8! I was thinking of you two both that day! So glad you got to get away and do a little jig. Too bad there wasn't someone there to film you doing a jig together, although it was funnier with you each gettin' jiggy with it alone. That lantern cave tour sounds so awesome, I generally love ghost stories(aka Ghost Hunters)from the comfort of my couch but in a dark cave it would scare me too much. Not being able to see what is going on around you gives me the goosebumps. I like goosebumps sometimes though! Good Times! Love Ya!