Monday, October 25, 2010

Marco

A couple weeks ago, my Grandma Marco died. She was 89 and very ready to rejoin her husband who had passed 10 years earlier. But it was a somewhat sudden death and took the whole family by surprise.
Marco was what I, and most, would call a tough broad. She had 5 cesarean sections (believe me, a 4 time c-sectioner, that is TOUGH). And her's were done the old fashioned way, with a vertical instead of horizontal cut. She was whip-smart and said EXACTLY what was on her mind. She loved drama, loved her husband, and loved her family. In many ways (except maybe the whip-smart) I've always felt I was a lot like Marco. Many have told me that I look very much like her, and I feel like we shared many of the same stories. A couple years ago I spent 2 days with Marco filming her life story. It was an amazing experience and one I'll never forget.
Marco was the long time matriarch of my father's family and truly loved by us all. We miss her, but KNOW she is now young again, joyful, and reunited with her long lost loved ones.

I had the opportunity to go to Las Vegas for Marco's funeral. Oz and I made the trip together and spent a few days celebrating Marco's life and catching up with family. Nearly every extended member of my Dad's side was there (minus some spouses and kids). It was amazing to get to see my cousins, aunts and uncles, some whom I haven't seen for years.





During the funeral service my cousin Dan, who is the lead singer of the band Imagine Dragons, sang the song "How Great Thou Art". It was one of the more amazing things I've ever heard in the chapel. I wished I had my flip, and that I'd have even been allowed to use it.

Oz was such a champ during the trip. He did great on the plane, and did so well with all the changes in scenery and people. The only time he wasn't too happy was on the first night at the viewing. New person after new person came up to meet him. After about the 20th face he'd had it. But going home to Marco's house (where we were staying with my family), a bath and some clean PJ's got him back to his happy self. That night most all the extended family, and I've got a LOT, came to Marco's for food and to talk and look at old pictures. Marco had hundreds of loose photos in her house. It was like traveling through time. We sat, ate cheesecake, and laughed at our own family pics that were long forgotten.

Sometimes sadness can bring great joy. That joy came from me getting to spend some totally unexpected time with my parents and brothers.



My brother Josh and Oz share their birthday. Oz found Josh horribly scary at first sight, but then decided he was perfectly edible and hilarious.



My younger brother Dan is engaged to this gorgeous gal, Erin. We all love Erin so much that if he hadn't asked her to marry him, we would have probably tossed Dan from the family.



We all, minus my Dad, went out after the funeral for a a night in Vegas. From left to right, Spencer, Josh, Aby, Mom, Rob & Dan. NO, Rob and Dan are not twins - although they're asked if they are on a nearly daily basis. I think I look a lot like my Mom here, which must mean I'm prettier than I assume.



It's been SO long since I've blogged, and therefore taken bloggy intended pics, that I now STINK at taking my signature portraits. This was the BEST I got, and I tried a dozen or more times.



Finally I gave up and had my brother take this one.



Oz slept the WHOLE night.

The next day we set out to do some shopping. We hit a big mall on the strip, and I got some much needed Mom and me time. She even treated me to some Betsey Johnson jewelry. We scored some great deals at the Children's Place and had some frozen yogurt together. I have to say it was all quite wonderful.

This was the longest trip I've ever taken leaving Jeff with the majority of the kids. I have to say I LOVED hearing, "I don't know how you do it everyday". But he did a great job, followed our schedule, made yummy dinners and kept the house clean.

Marco, your life blessed me in so many ways. And then in your death you blessed me again. The greatest blessing of all, family. And I know that makes you happier than anything. luvs always.


4 luvs:

Every Star Is Different said...

Wow! I even got a little teary eyed at the end. When I told Jason your grandmother had died, he quickly replied, "Oh no! Was it Marco?" Immediately I knew she had to have been someone pretty special.

It was fun to see pictures of all of your siblings. I loved the family portrait, although it would have been nice to see your Dad too.

I'm so envious of your shopping day with your mom and the time away from the majority of the kids. It's always nice when a husband realizes just how amazing you are!

You look great by the way! I love the hair! So excited you're back into the blogging world!

Alonso Family said...

oh, sweetheart, i am so sorry to hear about Marco. she totally rocked, truly! i don't think i realized how old she was, not kidding about her being a tough lady. funerals are always so bittersweet, it is the most wonderful thing to see everyone you love and to remember together the one who passed.

your family looks great! you and your Mother look so much alike and yes that means you are both beautiful! i can't believe Dan is engaged!!!!! awesome, she looks like a sweetie. hopefully his older brothers will learn from his example:) j/k some are just luckier at finding the "one" sooner then others.

anyway, i am glad you got to spend some quality "adult" time with your fam and that Jeff did such a great job with the older kiddos, just sorry it had to be for such an event. much luvs!

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh said...

Aby, I'd been trying to figure out a good way to express that trip, that while it was for a sad reason there was still a lot of joy, and I think you nailed it on the head with her blessing us even with her passing. Very well said.

And I'm stealing your pictures. Nothing you can do about it.