Thursday, April 10, 2008

Conference and Independence

Monday, after a really good conference weekend we decided to go to the newly renovated (and when I say newly I mean I think it's been done for a couple of years and we were just now going) LDS Visitor's Center in Independence. It's only a 20 minute drive, and is Jeff's birthplace. We go there every Fourth of July for a GREAT fireworks show, but we hadn't been to the VC there yet.
We walked in and were greeted by a very nice sister missionary from Idaho. She took us on a tour of the different exhibits. They are AWESOME. The church really put a lot of time and money into this Visitor's Center and it is well worth the visit. During our tour, which consisted of just our family, the sister missionary kept remarking how good the kids were. She must have said this at least 5 times when suddenly she said, "Seriously, I think they are the best behaved kids I've ever seen come through here." Shocked we were, yes. Happy we were, OHHH yes. Way to go Capri, Rome and Sable!
There is an exhibit on families there that is really great. It's hard to explain, you move from display to display that are decorated to look just like the clip being played on the monitors. Again, I'm not expaining it well so I guess you will all just have to come and visit us to see it for yourselves! It brought tears to my eyes - and usually I'm not one to cry at stuff like that.
After touring the VC we drove around Independence for a few minutes. It really needs some livening up. It used to be the last outpost on the trail out west. Now, according to Jeff, it is the Meth capital of the United States. He wasn't kidding. Time for the City of Enoch anyone??? Anyway, Jeff has a great idea for starting Independence down the road to more tourism and less Meth. He thinks that they should have their cops dress like old west sheriffs, give them two old timey six shooters, and a belt that holds bullets. I think this is a GREAT idea and that the City of Independence should get moving on it right away. "Less Meth, more old timeyness" is MY motto!

0 luvs: