Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Mile in My Very Own Sneakers



A few days ago, at the YMCA, I did something I haven't done for at least 10 years. I ran one mile, without stopping. This, to put it mildly, was for me like running an entire marathon. Not because I was ready to collapse by the end, but because in my mind I really didn't think this was something I was capable of. Wierdly enough, I did it in the SAME sneakers I wore 10 years ago. The sneakers my mom bought for me in Charlottesville, VA because I wanted to start running on the treadmill at the Wintergreen Gym.

Now to all you "runners" out there who are thinking, "ONE MILE? This is what she is proud of?? That's NOTHING!! Just the other day I ran 15 miles while pushing my baby in the jogging stroller with one hand and trading stocks on my cell phone with the other. All whilst my genius children played their violins, cellos and other various difficult instruments at their rehearsals for the New York Symphony". I say, "That's right, one mile and I'm DANG proud of it!"

Usually at the YMCA when I run on the track, I'll usually run one lap around and then walk one lap. But the other day, after running one lap, my feet didn't stop. I ran another lap, and another, and another. Before I knew it I had run 9 laps, one whole mile. The smile that spread across my face was bigger than any smile I have felt for a LONG time. Not that I haven't smiled, I smile everyday. But this was a smile of self-accomplishment. From doing something I had told myself was out of my capability.

After my 9 laps I immediately went downstairs to the weight room area of our YMCA where Jeff was doing various strong-man things like lifting ALL the weight on every machine without any trouble at all, or doing approximately 157 pull-ups with his hands about three feet apart and then just holding himself off the ground in a pull-up for something like 14.65 minutes.
I told Jeff my news, still smiling ear to ear, to which he responded "That's great!" Then I said, "I haven't done that for 10 years". To which he responded "WHAT?? Ten years?" I told him how ususally when I come to the gym I run a lap and then walk one, to which he responded "Well then how did you make such a big jump to running a mile today?" My answer? "I just felt like I could keep running." And it was the truth.

All this time I thought my body couldn't do it, that I was not able physically. In reality, turns out, it was my mind that was the stumbling block. But that day, my mind gave me a gift and let me accomplish something I felt was totally out of my reach.
On the last few laps of my mile run all I could think about was something my cousin-in-law Annie wrote in her blog regarding her own gym related, eye-opening experience. She wrote, "Maybe I'm not the person I thought I was. Maybe I'm much more than that."
It inspired me when I read it 7 months ago, and it continues to inspire me today. It's so true, in not only a workout related sense, it's true for all the parts of our lives. Maybe we aren't who we thought, think, or told ourselves we are. Maybe, in fact most likely, we are SO much more than that. And maybe if we allow ourselves to TRULY believe it, our minds will give us gifts every now and again. Then we'll do the things we had convinced ourselves were impossible.
Thanks Annie, you helped me run that mile. Here's to the hopefully many miles ahead of me.
(If you'd like to read Annie's full post click here and scroll down to Althleticism Later in Life: Part Four)

7 luvs:

kate said...

Aby - That's amazing. I am sooooo not a runner you you definetely impressed me!

Annie said...

That made my day! I'm running around my living room pumping my arms up and down for you. Kind of like a "raise the roof" move, but less 1990's.

Erin said...

Congrats Aby! Everyone seems to be running these days except me. If I had the motivation I would jump on the bandwagon. But no, there's no motivation here.

Alonso Family said...

that a girl! i am so proud of you. man, coming from someone who used to swim many miles a day, i can relate with the whole mind over body thing. there were many a day when i would look back and question how on earth i did it.

lately, however, those days seem long gone but i know it's all in my head. if i just decided to do something, whether it be exercise or any other daunting task that i face, i could. in the same sense that the mind can take us places we never thought we could go, it is also too darn good at keeping things out of our reach if we let it. that's why it's so important to stay positive despite our circumstances. thanks for the reminder and the inspiration Aby!

Abby Runyan said...

Ok, that is to crazy and so fun. So I will just have to add that I run at the YMCA too so we have another thing in common. I loved your comment and already feel a connection with you over stressing about what to do with the safety of our children. Did you read that article I posted about vaccines, if you didn't make sure to read it. I feel really strongly that we are starting way to early and way to many to soon. If you feel uneasy about anything I think you should wait. Also, you child has just as much right as anyone else to go to public schools. They have philospical exemptions, religous exemptions, and also medical exemptions. Our religion believes in free agency. This is are right as parents to use these. Also did you know that the schools get about $50 to $100 per child if they are vacinated. No wonder the big push! You as a mother will ALWAYS know what is best for your child and what my be safe for one may not for the other. One size fits all is a joke. I personally don't think any of vaccines are safe right now with all the junk they put in them. I hoping soon they will realize this and clean them up. Make sure to never give more then one a time. I learned the hard way and just want us Moms to realize we are in charge of our kids not the DR's. Until we stand up and refuse to not except what they are doing it will never change. It's not only autism that scares me, ADD, ADHD, SIDS, Diabetis, etc.. Anyays good luck and I can tell you a amazing Mom if you need anything let me know.

Merinda Cutler said...

I swam 10 lengths of the pool a few days ago and thought I was pretty cool. Then I found out that is like 1/6 of a mile! Don't laugh, Corrie, if you're reading!

Amazing how a decade or so in childbearing years can go by with so very little exercise, and yet it's really not all that hard to get back into it if you put your mind to it. Thanks for the inspiration, Aby. Maybe it's time to pull out my old running shoes too!

emily and adrian said...

Good for you! I can't run a mile! And I will never feel bad for not being a marathon runner....never!
But good for you. Did you do what I would do and eat a fat candy bar after the run? IF not, you should have.