Saturday was Rome's big "Superhero Party". We invited friends and fam to come dressed as their favorite superhero to the Kansas City Superhero Academy. Jeff wore his uniform and led the activity for the kids to train and become "true" superheros. The kids were really cute and Jeff was really cute and well the whole darn thing was really cute.
He told the kids that to be a true superhero they needed 3 things:
1. A superhero name. Jeff was "Police Man". Rome was "Spider Man" and Capri was "Capri Marina Runyan".
2. Equipment. They were each given their own flashlight and then he told them to make a "Superhero hand". It was pretty much making their hand look like a gun. I give Jeff major points for this. He knows how I feel about guns and when he used the words Superhero hand instead of gun, he looked right at me with a little glimmer of "that's for you Aby" in his eye.
3. Bravery. Jeff told the kids that being brave didn't mean you never get scared, it means you do something even though you ARE scared.
Jeff showed them how they were going to look for, find, and capture a "bad guy". In this case, the bad guy was Curious George. Perhaps George got a bit TOO curious if you know what I mean.
BubbleShare: Share photos - Powered by BubbleShare
They each got to go down into our dark basement with their flashlights and help Jeff find and capture Curious George. They all really loved it (we only had one kid get scared) and were VERY proud of themselves.
Personally, I was proud of Jeff. It's cheesy I know, but I can't help it. No, police work isn't going to be Jeff's lifelong career - hopefully. But for now, I am REALLY proud of him. His job is very hard, very dangerous and pays very little. But still, he is doing something that is very real. And there are so few times in life that you experience something so real. It's kind of hard to explain, and I'm way off the subject of Rome's party, but still. . . It's something that has been on my mind. Maybe I'll get my thoughts together on the subject in another post.
Back to the party, cake was next. Both Rome and Capri absolutely L-O-V-E the cakes at Walmart. This is seriously the part of their birthday they look forward to the most. Capri has had the theme and cake for her 5th birthday picked out since pretty much the day after her 4th birthday. And Rome had decided on Spiderman months and months ago. Pretty much ever since he discovered Spiderman. EVERY time we go to Walmart I get asked a dozen times, "Can we go see the cakes??!!" When I say yes, they literally dance like little sprites in front of the bakery department and sing praises to the cakes. So needless to say, when I finally brought out Rome's Spiderman cake it was the culmination of months of waiting. Of course he promptly put his hand in the red frosting and got it on the carpet.
BubbleShare: Share photos - Powered by BubbleShare
Rome scored some great gifts, including an awesome Pirate Ship from his Grandpa Greg and Grandma Lori. Thanks so much - he plays with it every day! He also got a cartload of clothes from Mar-mar and Larry. Perfecto! (PS - Cathy, they all fit!)
When everybody had gone home we looked at Sable and this is what we saw. We have no idea how she ended up like this, other than we know that frosting was involved. Poor ignored baby!
So another birthday bites the dust. Next up, "Strawberry Shortcake". Oh and Mom, NOW Strawberry Shortcake wears pink brimmed hats. Got any ideas on how to make that??? Seeing as it was YOU that put the idea of hats for everybody into Capri's head and she has mentioned it to me approximately 1.8 million times since, I think it's only fair that you figure it out.
Friday, May 23, 2008
The Party Continues
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 luvs:
You guys have the best parties. Seriously Aby, you are so creative. Jeff, you are an awesome superhero instructor. And a really cool Dad.
What a cute idea. My kids would have loved that. Ok fine. And I would have, too. I really want to know how to catch bad guys aka people who leave mean comments on other people's blogs.
i love it! perfect for Jeff to teach. that is the kind of party that makes me want to have a boy. although, i know girls can be superheros, too but you know what i mean. i showed my girls the pics and they were so sad they missed it. Elora is really into asking her "why's" lately and doesn't quite understand "why" we were unable to just go to it. happy birthday, Rome!
I know why you are such a pro at birthday parties, Ab. It's because your mother NEVER threw you a real party and you are trying to avoid making the same mistakes your parent did. We all have that goal. I, myself, never gave you a home permanent when you were 6 years old. That is a success in my life.
Congrats to Rome on the birthday, to Capri for a great super hero name, to Jeff for the fab reviews, to Aby for perfect planning and to Sable for putting it all in perspective. Party on!
As for the whole Strawberry Shortcake thing, I really don't know what you're talking about. Who was this person who supposedly put such ideas in Capri's head? Besides, doesn't SS wear some wort of colonial mobcap thing?
What a cute party idea! You are such a fun and creative mom.
OK, Aby, you are right, Sable gives our Lucy a run for the money in the cutest baby race... And I love the name by the way.
And I'm glad you run one of the few cousin blogs.
I love that you always throw such fun parties. Your kids will always remember this and love you and Jeff for it!
And by the way thanks for the kind words on my blog...really, thank you!
Post a Comment