A few weeks ago Jeff suddenly decided that we really needed to start going out on "kid dates" with. . .well, the kids. Meaning we each would take each kid out by ourselves. I thought this was a very mature and parenty thing to do so on Jeff's next days off we did it.
Kid Dates, Day One:
1. Jeff took Rome to play sports at a local field. They headed out with a soccar ball, frisbee, bat and ball. They came back SWEATY and happy.
2. I took Capri to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. I let her take the lead and we went on a 4 year old art tour, meaning we saw pretty much EVERYTHING in the musuem, not stopping to look at anything for more than 2 seconds. This wasn't because she didn't like it, in fact she LOVED it. But she's 4 and 2 seconds was all she needed to appreciate each piece. There were a few things that were so totally gorgeous to her that she had to stop and look for a few extra seconds. The first was this tea set:
The next was this room:
And then she found it, her most FAVORITE thing in the entire museum. This painting literally stopped her in her tracks, made her clutch her heart and say, "Ohhhh Mommy! This is the most beautiful painting I have ever seen!"
It's a Georgia O'Keefe, and it's so totally, completely, perfectly Capri.
Kid Dates, Day Two:
1. Jeff took Capri out to lunch at On The Border, one of her favorite restuarants. She came home all smiles with a strawberry lemonade in hand. Capri has had a crush on her Daddy (and now so does Sable big time) pretty much since she was born, so it was very special for her to go out just with him.
2. I took Rome to see Kung Fu Panda. We both LOVED it. Seriously, it is a really cute movie and made me laugh out loud. Especially the end, "Ska-doosh".
Kid dates, Day Three:
Rome and Capri went to Juliette Frost's birthday (thank you Emily!!) which gave Jeff and I a chance to take Sable out on our own. Sable loves to eat so that's what we did. Sometimes it's easy to think that babies don't notice things, but they so do. Sable was fully aware that her brother and sister weren't around and that she had us to herself. It was all smiles through her mouthful of pasta at Bravo!.
Conclusion:
Do it. Take your kids on kid dates. Don't make excuses, just go. It's something they and YOU will never forget. We'll surely be doing it again soon.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Kid Dates
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 luvs:
What a fun idea. You are such good parents.
I just left a comment on the wrong blog...sorry!
Kid dates sound like a great idea!
I've never been to that museum, but I've been meaning to go. If it was fun enough to captivate so much, I should probably take a visit.
Post a Comment