Dang it. Agro (our fish) died tonight, and this time it may have been my fault. In fact, I'm fairly CERTAIN it was my fault. I'm not sure what I did, but he died just seconds after I cleaned his bowl. I didn't do anything different then I've done a dozen times before, but I put him in his bowl and seconds later he was dying.
Sigh.
This time Capri cried, I think because we actually watched Agro die. Watching something die is tough, and kind of graphic. Even if it's just a fish.
So we've decided to take a little break from fish, at least from Betta fish for a while. Any suggestions on a starter pet that isn't high maintenance? Capri is SO desperate for a dog and Jeff has made it VERY clear that won't happen for a LOOOOONG time. My first thought was turtle, but a looking them up online I saw that the little ones are actually illegal now and the bigger ones require large tanks. So what have ya got readers?
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
RIP Agro
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 luvs:
I'm so sorry. You're right, doesn't matter if it's a fish - it's alive and that's all that counts. Dad and I will discuss the pet dilemma. I don't know, no pets are low maintenance. Give Capri hugs and kisses from Gramma & Papa and tell her we love her.
bummer...but i have no better suggestion for you....the only thing easier to maintain would be sea monkeys:)
oh dear, poor Capri. Honestly I think fish are the easiest to maintain. I have had parakeets (what a loud stinky fluffy mess) and a frog named Gizmo, in which I ended up flushing down the toilet after about a month b/c he died after sustaining an injury to his leg which became infected. Oh and I had a dog that got hit by a car in front of our house. RIP Cassie. (thankfully I didn't see it). Anyway- fish are it.
Your loss was the subject of our breakfast table this morning. Poor Capri. We did discuss some other options though, after Jason finally got over his sulking phase. He too wants a dog, and I like Jeff, say "no." So obviously, any time pets are mentioned, Jason says, "Well you know what I want." His advice to Capri is "Try harder to convince your Dad. He'll come around." I replied, "So is this what you're trying with me? It's not working." Anyways, after weighing the pros and cons of other pets we've decided that a rabbit would be your best option. I had a rabbit growing up. We lost it once, and then 3 months later found it in our celar. The only reason it died, was because my brother left the cage open while cleaning it, and a dog got him(we kept him outside), but that could have easily been prevented. You can play with a rabbit. It's small enough to still be cute and not obnoxious... Let's see what are other benefits... They are just plain fun! Just whatever you do, don't get a snake! The people I nannied had a snake. Yuck!
Gerbils are pretty easy. They are a desert animal, which means they don't drink and urinate alot..... so they don't stink like hamsters do. But they are nocturnal. The only other animal that I can think of besides fish that is pretty easy to take care of is a hermit crab. Eran and I had one for the longest time when were newlyweds!
i second the hermit crab suggestion. one of the stores here has a whole bunch of them in cute little painted shells. cali's getting one for her birthday because she too wants a dog, but a crab is as close as we're getting to that.
As a person who married into a life with two dogs, I highly recommend it. Hopefully Jeff will come around soon. Our first baby will be here at the end of June and I am glad we already have the dogs. They teach kids (and adults) a lot and will help protect your family. They are so much fun and pretty much my company when I am home alone. We moved the dogs in with me before we got married and since then, I have never been scared to be at home by myself. We also had a friend call us to tell us about a personal loss and he didn't want to be alone. We weren't home at the time, so we sent him to our place and he hung out with the dogs until we got there. The hardest part is the first part - training! Once they are trained, life with dogs is so much fun.
Okay, I'm done with my soap box about dogs. :o) The first thing that entered into my head when I read your request for suggestions was - A PET ROCK! You can't kill it and if you forget about it, it will still be there when you remember. And it won't cost very much. Haha. Good luck finding a new pet. Let us know what you get!
Hey Aby,
That's so weird to me that Jeff won't get a dog, seeing as how much we all loved our dog growing up...I would think he'd want his kids to have that same experience. HOWEVER, TJ and I have owned almost every small animal you can own. Parakeets, hermit crabs, snake, hamsters, rats, fish, ferret, rabbit...and my suggestion might surprise you. If you want a "pocket pet" that's nicer than a hamster (since they can be quite bitey), I would say go for a rat. Some people don't like their tails but honestly, they are said to be great pets for kids. They are smart and curious, and very easy to keep. I don't know, you might not be into them, but we loved our pet rat a LOT, she was a total sweetheart and never made a sound but at the same time was very interactive. I also enjoyed having a parakeet, but you just have to know if that constant background noise would annoy you or if you would find it pleasant, plus they are not as interactive. Anyway, if there's any animal you want to know more about (our rabbit was maybe the highest maintenance of all of them, but she lived indoors), just give us a shout! :)
Karen
We had a couple of rats when I was little. They were nice to take out of the cage and play with, and low key. Good luck with the pet hunt.
Two words: pot bellied pig.
I recommend having another baby. I mean if you are thinking about bringing a breathing thing that stinks and poops into your home, you might as well go for one that will eventually become potty trained(unless he's tommy).
Or we just tell the children that we can't have a pet, because we have Preston.
(Obviously I'm a HUGE animal lover. Go PETA!)
I'm with the hermit crab people. Of course I think cats are amazing house pets and one day Adrian will agree...I hope.
Dogs are great, of course, but then there are vet trips...that's time and money. Also, dogs require more than just food, they need attention, exercise, discipline...you know all of this...and I get why Jeff is not ready for a dog yet. The time will come. For now, I'd do the hermit crab. You can totally paint their shells, and you can get one for each child!
Gerbs bite...I was bit by one when I was three and had to get a booster shot...Juliette was bit by one too.
Post a Comment