As usual, I'm gettin' no "luvs". So I'll go ahead and reveal what the number 548 means to me, I know all 5 of you who read this blog are waiting on pins and needles to find out.
I am #548 on the library waiting list to read, no Jen NOT Breaking Dawn, but the very first Twilight book.
I have to admit. I don't actually WANT to read Twilight. In fact I'd really rather chew off my own hand. But my friend Corrie has been hounding me to read it for, well, just about an enternity now. So last week I went to the library and tried to look it up in the card catalog computer thingy. Having NO luck, I personally believe that DEWEY of the Dewey Decimal system was a HORRIBLE organizer, I went and asked the librarian. She looked it up and said there weren't any copies available. Feeling like a good friend I told her to go ahead and throw me on the waiting list. She did, and seconds later started to laugh.
Librarian: You're #548 on the wait list.
Me: WHAAAAAAT! You mean like there are five-hundred and FORTY-SEVEN people before me??
Librarian: (Laughs)
Me: (Secretly relieved that I wasn't going to be going home with the book) Ok, I did my job - I TRIED to get the book. I'll just have to tell my friend that it'll be a couple of years before I read it.
Librarian: (Still laughing) There are about 50 copies of the book in circulation so maybe you'll get it sooner!
So that's it. I am NOT NOT NOT going to read Twilight. This cemented it for me. I absolutely refuse to read something that:
1. Has to do with Vampire love.
2. Has to do with Werewolf love (I found this out by reading People magazine which says that the MAIN fans of the Twilight series are a bunch of teenagers who call themselves "Twilights" and mob book signings).
3. Has such a wild and obsessive following that I am #548 on the wait list for the darn thing!! In fact, I tend to be the kind of person that when something gets TOO popular, I don't want to have anything to do with it. Just like Harry Potter, I couldn't read it then and I can't read it now. I can't even stay awake for the movies.
I just have to wonder why? Why is it soooooo good? Why is everyone reading it? Why has it become the #1 most blogged about thing on every Mormon women's blog? And WHY OH WHY does the library have 50 copies of the thing? I'm very willing to bet that they don't carry 50 copies of Catcher in the Rye, On the Road, or A Moveable Feast.
So I'm taking a stand, and I'm sure I'll be horribly unpopular for it. But frankly, what's new?
Monday, September 1, 2008
I Gets No "Luvs"
Posted by Aby Runyan at 9:25 PM
Labels: Attempts at Humor, Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 luvs:
I'm laughing out loud again...seriously...warewolf love.
Hey, I'm with you...and I too REFUSE to go anywhere NEAR this silly series. I am perfectly happy with my generic US Weekly mags...that fufills my trashy reading appetite just fine.
548 LUVS for you!
Too funny. I thought it had something to do with the Twilight series but I wasn't sure what. I admit I've read the books but when my friend told me about them I laughed. I am amazed by how many people just love these books. I don't blame you for not wanting to read them, it is a little too much of a phenomenon.
I read the first because I wanted to see what the hype was about. It was horrible. I read the second because Sarah Reynolds was visiting my house and left it here. I read the third one because it was given to me as a Christmas gift, as a joke. I have no intention of reading the fourth bcause I couldn't care less about what happens to these poorly-written characters. BAM!
There's a reason you're number 548. It's because they're good. I wouldn't say they're nearly as good as Harry Potter. But good. I'm sorry. Surely someone has a copy you can borry.
I don't read, BUT I read them. I feel like I was tricked into reading them, but I did it. I liked them too. I really liked them. I guess I like that whole Werewolf Love.
I do prefer US Weekly. I think that has a lot of "Wear"wolf love in it.
Aby that last line made me sad. I can't believe you think you're horribly unpopular. Boggles my mind... I sure luv you!
by the way, I am a secret fan of the series. I am a fan of the books but I don't want to post about it on my blog.
Ok, if you are REALLY wanting to read it I have a copy that you can borrow :)
About the bus thing, don't stress. When I say "mean" bus drivers, I'm refering to the people who just need to get a job that doesn't involve kids. I have mainly heard about them involving elementary age +. I wouldn't worry! Did Rome have fun? Logan loves Headstart!
I agree with you on the Twilight series. As to why they're so popular? Who knows? "Breaking Dawn" is our book club's pick this month. I'll be sitting this one out in protest.
But I do have to tell you about my love for Harry Potter, cause I think you're missing out. I haven't actually ever READ a Harry Potter book, but I've listened to each and every one on audio book. The guy that reads them (I think his name is Jim Dale) is magical. Seriously... magical like Harry himself :) I'm telling you, next time you've got a long car trip, check out the first one and you'll be hooked.
I, too, absolutely refused to read them until I realized that it was impossible to have a conversation with any of the women around me without the Twilight series being mentioned at least once. "Am I Bella or Alice?" Seriously, are you kidding me? Then it dawned on me, I was going to lose a Trivial Pursuit game sometime in the future if I did not read those stupid books. I hate losing those darn games. So I read them. I did. Bad writing. Poor character development. Semi-compelling story, IF you can make it through pages of lovey -dovey-puky scenes and the over use of the word "marble." I am happy to report that I am neither Alice nor Bella nor Edward. I am me. And I will win that darn Trivial Pursuit game in the future or I just wasted a lot of my valuable time!
I don't have your email, so sorry for having to post! I dropped Logan off today b/c the bus was EXTRA early and we missed it. When we went into his classroom I saw that Capri is in his class! Awesome! We will have to introduce them b/c I doubt they will make the connection!
(heads up: highly sarcastic tone used throughout this entire post)
are you freaking kidding me...boo hoo for you! you make a post that doesn't get very many responses within only a 24 hour period so you start crying that nobody luvs you!!! sometimes, it feels like i wait weeks or months even for a phone call. then when i finally get it, i get put on hold for 10 minutes before being disconnected and then that person never calls me back:) you are in so much trouble, you don't even know, btw.
but seriously, where's your patience, my dear? may i at least point out that it's hurricane season here at Jetblue so my fulltime graveyard shift hasn't been as laid back as normal, which is usually the only time i can blog. then the rest of my time i am trying get some sleep between running around being a being a mom.
so please, i implore you to be patient with me and might i also add with the long waiting list you are now on and better still be on to read Twilight. i had a very similar experience not quite 548 but i was almost 300 on the list here but i got the book within two weeks because people read through it so fast. you might be surprised how soon that "dreaded" book will show up just waiting for you to read it. don't think for one minute you are getting off the hook that easily..."boo hoo, i tried. i put my name on a list but it was just too long so i give up"
as for your little list of pathetic excuses, ironically all three can be used by someone who refuses to watch x-files. don't be so close minded. quit listening to the good and the bad of what other people think about it. just clear your head and pick it up, then read it for the fun of it for pete's sake.
thanks for always making me laugh with your great storytelling talent, though! luv ya!
I'm with ya! I had no idea what these books were about until about a month ago. And I'm happy with this fact. I'll read my Jason Bourne books over these any day.
Hey Aby,
Just catching up on my blogs. I'm with you all the way. I read the first Harry Potter and just couldn't stomach any more. I feel like I should read at least one of the Twilight books, but the sheer popularity of it makes me wanna puke when I think about reading it.
Oh, and by the way, Rich and I rented the movie Stardust last week and the only way I was able to convince him to get it was that I remembered you liked it. He thinks you're cool, so he figured the movie must be too. We both liked it. So, for the record, Rich & Merinda think you're the coolest person ever and we'll read and watch what you read and watch and skip Twilight and Harry Potter (gonna check out those other two books you listed after Catcher in the Rye)!
LOL You crack me up, Aby! I actually had the books given to me to, although I had NO idea what it was at the time, and had heard NOTHING about the phenomenon. At least you will know what you're getting into.
I also refuse to read them. I have started the first one about 3 times and can't get in to it. Every time I start it again I feel like a sell out and don't really find any interest in it. I'm on your side 548%!
Post a Comment