Sunday, September 7, 2008

Poor Poor Poor POOR Capri (what could possibly be next??)

Friday night I thought I'd be posting about Capri and Rome's first week in "school" (Headstart). Instead, I spent it with Capri in the Emergency Room. We wound up there after Capri fell about 4 feet off our front porch rail into a mulch bed. When she stood up, crying, she was covered in mulch and her left arm was hanging to her side. One look at it's macaroni-noodle shape and both Jeff and I knew, it was broken.

I scooped up Capri and drove her, Rome, Sable and myself to the ER. Jeff waited at home for Emily Frost to pick up Juliette - who I'd been watching because Emily thought she was in labor (which she was, and had her baby the next morning). EMILY, who as I said WAS IN LABOR, drove Jeff to the ER because we of course only have one car.

We looked like a lot like white trash walking / running into that ER. Capri was covered in mulch and had no shoes, Rome was dirty / sweaty with crazy hair and no shoes, I looked as fabulous as ever. There we were, with the injury that officials are always suspicious of and we looked a mess. I expected Child Protective Services to walk in at any moment.

Shortly after Jeff got there we realized we needed to find somebody to watch Rome and Sable. An extra special thanks to Aunt Katie and Uncle Jon for be SO VERY willing to watch them, on a friday night, for however long we needed, which was several hours.

An X-ray confirmed what we all already knew, Capri's arm was broken. In fact, she broke both bones in her left forearm. They drugged her up, set her arm and splinted it. The cast will come later this week. Through it all however, Capri was TREMENDOUSLY brave. She always is in BIG situations. It's the little stuff that scares her. Put her on a roller-coaster, or in an emergency room and she is awesomely tough. Ask her to go down into our own basement, by herself, with all the lights on - and she refuses.

It wasn't till we got home and Capri was faced with doing simple tasks that she showed some real tears. The prospect of having to cut her shirt to get it off nearly left her in a puddle. But we managed to get it off and even managed to get her in the bath to finally wash off all the mulch.

Yesterday she really had a hard time with feeling, "itchy". But it was more than a little itchy, this seemed painful to her. After a visit from our awesome neighbor / Home Teacher / Orthopedic Surgery Resident, Justin Barker, we figured out some things to help. He loosened her splint bandage and told me that Tylenol with codeine can cause itchiness - he suggested just putting her on regular Tylenol and Ibuprofrin. Justin even got us some Benadryl and brought it over that night to help with the itching. Today she is MUCH better, and has barely complained about pain or itching at all.
Thanks Justin, you're a life saver!

So that's our arm adventure so far. Thanks so much to everyone who's called and come over and showed so VERY MUCH love and concern for Capri.
Here's what Capri has to say about the whole thing:

"I fell down from the railing. I fell into the mulch. I broke my arm when I fell into the mulch. I got my cast on (splint). It feels a little bit better. And my broken arm is going to feel better someday. When my broken arm feels better I can do more stuff. When [after] I get my hard cast on I will get to go to Gramma and Papa's house, it will feel better before we go to Gramma and Papa's house. When I go I won't have a broken arm anymore."



9 luvs:

Erin said...

How sad for Capri. We hope her arm is feeling better soon.

This Is Our Heaven.... said...

awwhhhh...how scary!! I hope that she feels better soon!! What a brave little girl though!!! Give her tons of love, which i'm sure you already do. =O)

aLi said...

holy cow, that poor girl. That X-ray was AWFUL! I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

This Is Our Heaven.... said...

Hey, Aby, I sent you an evite inviting Capri to BriAnn's b-day party on Saturday......and then I forgot that she broke her arm. But that doesn't mean that she still can't come if she is up to it!! We would LOVE to have her!! We need to get BriAnn and Capri playing together more often anyways...I know they would have a blast playing together. =O) Let me know if she is able to come. =O)

Alonso Family said...

oh, poor poor sweetheart...that is a really bad break. i just hurt all over looking at that x-ray and that is saying something coming from me, who has had 7 broken bones in her life, each arm twice (including one that looked very much like Capri's, that one i had to be put out before they set it straight.) Ouch, Ouch! for some reason though, it is always worse to hear about other people's breaks then my own. i have a new sympathy too for what i put my parents through during it all. i feel for you Aby and Jeff and of course sweet Capri. many loves and kisses for you all!

emily and adrian said...

Oh, my heart was broken for her that day! I'm so glad she is going to be alright.
Thank you for helping me that day. Asking a mom with three kids to watch my kid is always hard, but your such a good Mommy, and Juliette is in love with your family!
Don't even worry about me being in labor that day...i was glad to get ME off of MY mind that day. Anytime Abs!
Can we come over and sign the cast?

ericareynolds said...

Ouch! Poor little girl. We just did the same thing this summer when Ella broke her arm. However, it wasn't as bad as Capri. We will have to get them together before they are twenty so they can swap stories! :)

Emily said...

Way to be tough Capri (and Aby!) I hope your arm heals fast and is feeling better soon!

Baby Ruth said...

Oh I'm so sorry this happened to your family! How crazy!! Hope her arm gets better fast...