Monday, August 10, 2009

Capri's Birthday - American Girl Party

Our baby Capri turned six today. Baby. She never ever ever has wanted to be a baby - even when she was tiny. The greatest insult you can call her? Little girl. She is a BIG girl, and has been one in her own mind for years. Those who know her well will quickly say she is less like a six year old and more like an 18 year old who is going on 30. She's smart and funny, TALENTED and kind. She loves to be the center of attention, but can still get shy. Capri has an amazing bedside manner, she has true empathy and shows true joy. She is a force, the type of girl who will lead the way instead of follow. She is quite literally, everything I WANTED to be when I was growing up. She knows herself better at six then I did in my late twenties.

She started "her day" with a red plate breakfast. Side note, if you don't have a red plate - buy one. Your kids will LOVE LOVE LOVE this tradition. We only use it for birthdays, it makes their eyes shine like you wouldn't believe.





We did presents early, before her party, because she was having an American Girl party and needed a very long awaited present to be in attendance at it.








That's a Taylor Swift CD she's holding. She knows many of her songs by heart. But frankly, and I know I'm biased, Capri is a FAR better singer.



The LONG awaited and MUCH anticipated present. Kit Kittredge. I bought Kit back at Easter, for the free shipping. Capri waited so patiently for Kit to be freed from my basement gift closet.





Gramma & Papa went the extra mile and got her Kit's bed, nightstand set, and nightie. Can you FEEL the joy?









The party. Because it was going to be an all craft, doll party, Capri chose to invite only girls this year.












Decorating goody bags.



Making doll journals.



Doll pillowcases. The kids used markers to decorate tiny pillowcases I had pre-sewed, then they stuffed them and I sewed the last seam.










Doll blankets. I'd cut out tons of different shapes that I backed with Heat n Bond. Each kid got a pre-cut fleece blanket to decorate and then have their pattern ironed on.





Ali Shepherd made Capri's cake. It was GORGEOUS and so delicious. Seriously it could have not been more perfect!


















The dolls.



The girls, and Rome - the extra special only boy guest.







Capri had said for nearly a year that she wanted to go to Applebee's for her birthday dinner. I have no explanation for this. I think she's only eaten there once before, but for some reason she is totally obsessed with it. She always asks to go there, and we always turn her down because - well it's just not that great. But I'd told her that for her birthday we could go, she did NOT forget and reminded me on a regular basis.

Her utter birthday joy was complete when the waiters and waitresses sang to her. Seriously, she was in heaven.







After dinner we went to Zona Rosa and took a literal romp around the frog fountain.



Happy Birthday to our sweet Capri, we love you so much!

7 luvs:

Every Star Is Different said...

The pictures, the crafts, the stories of the party... even better than I could have ever imagined. You really did such a great job Aby! Capri looks SO happy! I LOVE the cake! It turned out beautiful! WOW! Amazing job! I only hope tomorrow goes half as well!

Rachel Kirkham said...

You can totally see her joy in all of these pictures. What a sweetheart and way to go Jan & Dan for the Kit ensemble (and mom for the amazing party)!!

amy said...

Whoa, Aby. That is some serious momming you've got going on. My mind is blown.

Happy Birthday Capri--from the looks of things it couldn't have been any happier!

Jan said...

Did the phone and lamp come with the night stand? If they did I am amazed. I had no idea that they did! As I said before, Kit and her stuff is definitely the cutest. What a great party and I am very proud of Rome for joining in the AG doll fun. Oh, the cake is awesome! And WE had a wonderful time talking to the birthday girl on Skype.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAPRI ! ! !

We love you!

Heather said...

You are seriously mom of the year. You stay at home w/ 3 little ones and still find time to throw the party (parties actually) of the year...you are AMAZING. Nice job! Everything was perfect.

elizabeth said...

How can you think of these things? The party looked amazing. Good job.

aLi said...

I need a red plate!!! Btw, thanks for your generous compliments! After doing your cake I've read up on some frosting reviews (allrecipes.com)... turns out (I had no idea) some people can taste the shortening in frostings. And they hate it. I had no idea!!! I am now so self-conscious of how that (and other cakes) have tasted to people. Also, I really should have just made the picture big enough to cover the whole cake, but I am not blessed to think about those kinds of things beforehand! argh! Sorry. If I could have done the cake differently, it would have frosting without shortening, and the edible picture would have covered the whole thing.
I am a learn by experience person, sorry you had to be a part of it!!!