Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sable's Party - Ladybug Picnic

Sable had her 2nd birthday party today, that's right - two parties, 5 days apart.

Yes, it was a little hectic.

No, I didn't keel over.

Yes, I nearly did.

This was one of my most favorite parties EVER to do. I made everything for this party, except the Happy Birthday banner that we put up for every party. You'd never know it based on these pictures, but the night before, my living room floor was literally covered in scraps of paper. I should have gotten a picture of it cause I'm not exaggerating. This party involved more cutting then I can say. My hand was warped into a claw by the end of all the cutting. I wish I'd gotten a bunch of better pics, but like I've said before - it gets hard to run the party and take pictures.







I was actually really proud of the cupcake tower. I do NOT care for baking cakes, which is why I usually buy them. But I'll make cupcakes and this time I'd decided to make a cupcake tower topper. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it turned out pretty great. I even made that ladybug on top, painted it and added the wire feelers.



The activites. We only invited relatives to this party, so there were just a few adults and 8 kids. Plenty I say! First they colored and cut out ladybug pictures.









Then they "put them in the grass".







Pin the spot on the ladybug.







I made ladybug costumes for each child, it was my lucky day when I found exactly 8 red shirts at the dollar store - two of which were just the right size for the two babies.



All the spots were felt backed with Heat n Bond, cut out, and ironed on. Each shirt had 4 or 5 spots, each spot had a backing paper - see how it's totally possibly for my floor to have been covered in paper the night before? Yeah, I made the shirts the night before. That's how I roll.
(The ladybug cake topper and the painted ladybug rocks you'll read about below were NOT made the night befoe. I'm not nuts.)

The kids went into the front yard for a ladybug hunt. I'd painted small rocks to look like ladybugs, and Jeff hid them in the grass. Each kid had a baby food jar with sticker vines on the inside.

Put simply, it was utterly adorable.







Sablebug.



Capribug & Romebug.



Mamabug.



Cousinbugs.



After the hunt I was frantically getting the fried chicken warmed up so I didn't get a good shot of the whole table spread. We had lots of picnic and red foods - watermelon, red ladybug jello (with blueberries on top), crackers and dip, pasta salad and fried chicken. Jeff's dad also brought a really yummy bean casserole.



Jeff had been teaching Sable how to blow for a few weeks.



Success! She blew them out all by herself.



Since many of the relatives there hadn't been at Capri's party, she had a chance to blow out candles and get sung to again.











As Sable would say, "Happy baby!"










Presents from Gramma & Papa are always good.







Especially when one's a tricycle!



OK, I'm proud of this one too. I found an American Girl doll bed at the Goodwill for about $3.50. I snatched it so fast I would have taken somebody's fingers off if there had been anybody else around. I made the pillow and blanket, to match the red headboard. Sometimes I'm really pleased with the things I create, this was one of those times.



There were goody bags too, ladybug spades & shovels, snacky goodness, flower bracelets, tops and of course red fruit roll-ups. Sable handed them out as her cousins left, she's getting to be far too big far too fast.

Sable's actual birthday is tomorrow, the 16th. She'll get her BIG present from Mommy & Daddy then.

Love ya boo-boo!

11 luvs:

Erin said...

Such cute parties you had for your girlies. You are such a good mom!

Jan said...

This WAS the cutest party ever, but I do have one little comment. I seem to remember a discussion about the ladybug cake topper last May. Yes, I remember a session around the dining room table when "someone" covered the layers for the thing and a discussion was had about which of the items in the JoAnn's bag would look cute. Perhaps this was a dream. I admit to getting old enough that sometimes I forget things but I don't think I have ever made something up out of whole cloth!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SABLE BABY ! ! !

Jan said...

OK, I just re-read my comment and perhaps it was just a bit catty. I apologize! You always put on the most creative parties. I would never have dreamed up the ladybug t-shirts - brilliant! And who in the world gives an American girl doll bed to Goodwill?

Aby Runyan said...

Mom's right. I did neglect to send out a big thank you to her for covering the ladybug topper in red foam and ribbon. AND, buying all the supplies for it as well!! She was the divine inspiration behind it, THANKS Mom!
But. . .I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "made something out of whole cloth". What?

luvs, aby

Every Star Is Different said...

Wow! Can I just say that I do think you are crazy. I can't believe just HOW MUCH you did for this party. It was amazing. Really you have outdone yourself. Definitely coming to you for ideas in the future. All of the crafts, the cupcakes, games etc... Just amazing! By the way there are a couple pictures of you-just wanted to say again how much I LOVE your hair style.

Rachel Kirkham said...

You are incredible! I really do look up to you as a mama. What a lucky girl Sable is and HOLY COW are you creative! Happy Birthday Sable and congrats to you for putting on an amazing party!! xoxo

Emily said...

Aby,
Wow! That was amazing! You are so creative and so talented. I love how much you enjoy your kiddos. It is great to watch all the Runyan fun go by. We feel so blessed to have such creative awesomeness in Primary.
Love ya girl!

ericareynolds said...

Could you be any more clever? I seriously doubt it!

Emily said...

Aby, you are the cutest mom ever. TWO fabulous parties?! You are inspiring me to step it up this year. Love all your creative ideas. I just wish we lived close enough to attend one of these awesome celebrations!!!

Jenni said...

Hey Aby - I totally remember you and Jeff! Well at first though, I didn't see your last name on your comment and so I had really rack my brain to figure out who Aby and Jeff were. LOL.

But anyway, your family is so adorable. And Sable - love that name. You all look so happy and healthy - that is so great!

Awwwe so many great memories back in the days at Old Mill. :) Glad to connect up with you again. Stay in touch.

aLi said...

wow
wow
wow
wow
wow!!!

Ok, I know who to hire from now on when it comes to creativity. (I knew it before, this just sealed the deal.)