Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Utah - The Beginning

Day 1 - Wednesday, July 22

We made it fairly easily to SLC, on a VERY small plane - but safe and sound nonetheless. It had been a while since we'd been back to Utah, Capri was only 9 months old. We set out to get our rental car, and head to Todd & Becky's house (Jeff's uncle & aunt). They live in Draper (ha, ha, Jason - "lil Draper") right near the temple which was the FIRST one the littles had seen in real life. Well at least that Capri could remember, she saw the SLC temple when she was there before. We spent the evening getting somewhat settled and eating at Burger King - brand new it was by far the nicest Burger Kind I've ever been to. The littles loved the playplace, Jeff and I loved hearing the very Utah kid names that surrounded us.

Day 2 - Thursday, July 23

We made it our goal to see as much of Provo and BYU as humanly possible. There was a heat wave going on, it was at least 100 degrees all day. But we ignored it as best we could and pressed forward.

After driving through Orem and Provo, Old Mill Apartments was our first stop. Here's the spot where Jeff and I first met. NOT where I first noticed Jeff, that was in church (he was teaching a class).



He came up to me and said, "Do I know you from somewhere?" The rest is history.



Onward - after more Provo sights, and dropping off our rings to be cleaned, re-plated and fixed for free at the store where they were bought - we made it onto campus.

The BYU Art Gallery HAD to be the first stop. Capri had been dying to see it. She proclaimed this her favorite painting, horses - no shock there.



There are a couple very cool exhibits on the bottom level. This exhibit had some creepy stuff. The littles weren't that excited about standing in front of this. . . thing. Soon after I learned, pictures weren't allowed.



I had trouble obeying. This was both Jeff and my favorite. Tile? You ask. No, duck sauce packets.



We walked all over campus, hitting our favorite buildings and eating lunch in the Wilk. All the while Jeff and I would ask the littles, "So where are you going to go to college?"

The answer? "BYU!!!" This is our plan, to brainwash our children into going to BYU. I'm certain that at this point they don't think there are even any other colleges out there.







Is it JUST me or is this one of the handsomest boys alive?











The Bean Museum. I'd be lying if I said this museum didn't scare the pants off the littles. But after a rough first 10 minutes or so, they decided it was awesome.











We ate dinner at the new Cannon Center. I ate there everyday as a freshman. Well it wasn't TECHNICALLY at this Cannon Center because the Cannon Center I ate at was knocked down and then they rebuilt it about 50 yards away. This NEW Cannon Center is WAAAAAAY too nice for freshmen! Holy Moley. It's gorgeous, huge and fancy. There are different food areas with different world themes. It's going to be a very harsh letdown when those freshmen become sophmores and spend the year eating Ramen Noodles.
I should have gotten a picture of the place but we were too busy stuffing our faces.

Day 3 - Friday, July 24

Pioneer Day

We spent it with my best friend Corrie, her husband Eloy and their kids Elora, Natty & Soren. Corrie, Jeff and I all share the same birthday. I'm the youngest, Jeff is 8 hrs older than me - Corrie just a few. We share a special bond and I consider them to truly be my gaurdian angels. They both were key in my true understanding of the Gospel. It was wonderful to spend the day all together.

We all met at a Blockbuster parking lot (there are still Blockbusters?) and headed to the Pioneer Day Parade. There were people who had practically camped out for a spot, we found one without any trouble at all - in the shade no less. Important since the heat wave raged on.

Aren't my gals gorgeous? Seriously, gorgeous.








Back to Corrie's house for some serious backyard fun.





Rub a dub dub, 5 kids in a tub.





We hung out all afternoon, and then made dinner together. Once it started to get dark we went to a fireworks show nearby. Rome of course managed to run and then fall on the sidewalk, scraping both his knees bloody. . .again.

Capri and Elora have a great time whenever they're able to get together - which is WAY too seldom.



It was hard to say goodbye.



Day 4 - Saturday, July 25

Temple Square.

We met up with Jeff's sister Regina's family (husband Justin, and girls Audree & Juliette) and went on a great tour of the Conference Center and really learned a lot about it's construction. Somebody was getting a "special" tour so we even got to hear the organ and it's lowest notes - it shook our bones, for real.















I spent some money in the distribution center and then we all went to grab some $5 pizzas at Little Ceasar's. We took the pizzas back to the Regina & Justin's hotel room so we could all quickly eat and the adults could change to go do a session (the last session of the day) at the SLC temple. Another of Jeff's sisters, Aimee, came with her family to watch all the kids.

It was wonderful. Jeff and I hadn't been to the temple for over 2 years and getting to sit next to my sis-in-law this time was a special treat.
While we were gone, the kids all went together back to Temple Square and to the Lion House for some more food. We were told when we got home that Audree even managed to fall into a fountain. All was well and all the kids had a great time with Aimee and her family.

6 luvs:

Erin said...

Wow, you packed in a lot of sights on your trip. Wish I could have seen them with you!

The Clarks said...

Love the pics, can't wait to see the rest. It was a lot of fun seeing all of you. Oh, and have fun with all those out-of-state tuitions for the kids, lol. :) Love, K

Every Star Is Different said...

I love all the pictures. I think my favorite is you roaring like a lion. I'm quite impressed with the face. Second favorite would be that art piece with sauce packets. I would have wanted to take a picture too. It was neat seeing a picture of Corrie and of Jeff's relatives. Can't wait to read more.

aLi said...

it makes me homesick!!! (But how fun for you!!!)

elizabeth said...

I loved my trips to BYU as a little kid. I guess all that brainwashing works.

Emily said...

What a great trip!!! And what great pictures! (The ones with Jeff and the hippo head...my personal faves.) Seeing your pics makes me wish we could spend more time with your fun fam. It really stinks that we live so far away from each other. Your kids are adorable. Capri, I can't believe how grown up you are getting. Love your haircut. And your little side bow....what a lovely little lady! Love you Runyans!!!