Saturday, October 18, 2008

RIP Steve-o


Yesterday, when I went to feed Steve-o, I couldn't see him right away. Upon closer inspection I found
him. . .at the bottom of his bowl.
Sob.

We really loved Steve-o. He was named after Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter), a person that Jeff and I both dearly loved. Steve inspired us both in many ways. Mostly he showed us a love for life and the world that we'd never seen before. Oftentimes we'll say to each other, "We need to remember to be like Steve in this situation". His love for animals, and all creatures for that matter was amazing - us being the biggest babies on the planet when it comes to critters. When Steve Irwin died, we cried. Honestly. Both of us. It seemed that we had lost a friend, even though we were never fortunate enough to actually meet the man. Therefore, it seemed fitting to name our first pet after him.

Steve-o was such a "with it" fish, so attentive and he actually noticed when you came by his bowl. Seriously. When you went up to his bowl he would swim right over to you. Especially to me, I usually fed him and whether you choose to believe it or not, he seemed to recognize me every time. Jeff swears that he waved to Sable, not just both fins flapping - but only one.

When we first got Steve-o he wouldn't eat for about a week. Or so it at least seemed because every little red pellet I put in his bowl ended up at the bottom. I was so worried he was going to die that first week, until I started tapping the water right where I put in the pellets. That got him swimming right to them and he'd eat. Funny fish.

So when I found Steve-o I was truly sad, and when I broke the news so were Jeff and the kids. No, we didn't cry. He was, at the end of the day, just a fish. But he was a good fish, we loved him, and we will miss him.

3 luvs:

Emily said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your fish. I was hoping that you named him after Steve Irwin. I loved that guy too. Oh, and I totally believe that Steve-O waved at Capri. I used to have this cat, and I swear, when I was little, and upset, he'd crawl up in my bed and put his kitty arms around my neck and hug me. I SWEAR!!!

elizabeth said...

I'm very sorry about Steve-o. Don't fish float to the top of the bowl anyways? He must have been a unique fish.

Alonso Family said...

i forgot that's who you named him after, sorry to hear he is no longer with you in fish form at least, but always in spirit, eh! i was wondering the same thing about him being dead at the bottom of the bowl, i always thought upside down on the top...i wonder what the physics are behind that...hmmm.

btw, i found Lashaunna's blog! it's listed on my blog now so you should give her a shout out...another long lost friend is found, yeah! i love this blogging bonding world!