Friday, October 3, 2008

That CERTAIN time of day (come on, don't make me write it)

I can't BEAR to write the name of this book as the title to my post, on MY blog where I have oh so openly shared my feelings on the darn thing.
So I won't.

Since I'm being FORCED to read the book that I can't bear to name, here are my thoughts so far. I'm about 2/3 the way through.

1. It's a quick read. I am by far the SLOWEST reader in the entire world. So if I think it' a quick read, then it really must be.

2. When I take it someplace to read, like McDonald's or the gym - I VERY much want to rip the cover off so that nobody can see what it is I'm reading. Seriously. That is how embarrassed I am to be reading it. But I haven't done that because I'd be MORE embarrassed if somebody thought I was reading a romance novel or something like that with a ridiculous picture on the front. Not that this ISN'T a romance novel, let's just face it - it IS.

3. What is up with this author and DASHES? The book is riddled with them! When I started reading it I said to Jeff, "What is this, a blog entry, an e-mail, WHAT?"

4. I still don't care for Vampires.

5. All that said, I don't hate the book. I won't say that I LIKE it. But I don't hate it. It's actually surprised me a bit.

6. I do like Edward's character. I think it would be sort of impossible to NOT like him. I mean, he's the ultimate male. I CANNOT picture his face (and in my mind his hair is very dark, I know it's not really), but I can picture his persona. He's the guy that frankly every woman wants. We ALL want a guy who is enough of a man that he can and will rescue us, that if he bosses us around sometimes it doesn't bother us. And if you're shaking your head and saying "No, No, not me." Then you're a big fat liar.

7. I think that everybody is going to be VERY disappointed by the movie. There is just no way possible that they can capture these characters correctly. And I've seen the guy they cast as Edward, HE is supposed to be indescribably beautiful? Whoever cast that movie should be ashamed.

8. I still don't get why this series became so insanely popular. I'll admit that it can be a fun read, but come on! Is it really the best story ever? I guess there is something to be said for a book being written at the right time.

So that's that. So far.

Corrie, I hope you're happy.
But if you EVER compare this book to X-Files again, or Edward to our beloved Fox Mulder and Bella to our also beloved Dana Scully - I will have to disconnect my video phone.

5 luvs:

Emily said...

Aby, I love you, and I love the X-Files. And the fact that you love the X-Files, makes me love you even more. Good luck getting through the rest of the book.

Erin said...

Aby, you are hilarious! When I got to the end of the post and read about Edward and Fox Mulder I was laughing out loud. I totally agree with you about the movie, the Edward actor is not drop dead gorgeous. I really don't understand why they chose him. Are you going to read the rest of the books?

Holly said...

Ditto about Edward in the movie and in the book, but I saw the trailer for the movies tonight, and I think he at least stands a chance of portraying Edward accurately. Naturally, I'll be seeing the movie to find out how all the actors did.
And you're right: I was very surprised by our posting. I'd almost forgotten about her obsession with dashes. I still need to read the fourth one.

elizabeth said...

I wouldn't read the second book then. It's even slower. But I'm glad you're reading it.

Alonso Family said...

it took me a minute to figure out what the heck you were talking about in this post, good grief..."that certain time of day", i thought you meant that certain time of the month:) seriously, i was so confused. i thought what kind of book is she reading when she should be reading Twilight:) he he. anyway, i am glad i finally figured it out and even more glad to hear of your progress.

1. yeah, i love a QUICK read!
2. you worry too much about what strangers think.
3. i didn't notice the dashes - but then i am horrible at spelling and grammer.
4. i never asked you to.
5. isn't "like" the opposite of "hate" so - if you don't hate it, you like it - face it! i love surprises.
6. it would be impossible to NOT like Edward - the ultimate male! of course everyone has their own idea of what their ultimate male looks like - that's why i love reading books and using my imagination. nothing ever compares.
7. that's a given, like i said nothing ever compares - i am going to see that movie though nevertheless.
8. yeah, i love a FUN read! i never said it was the best story ever(that's Pride and Prejudice in my opinon), but it's still a pretty great story - especially if you ever read the whole series.

Thanks Aby for making me so Happy!

btw, where do you keep coming up with this stuff? - I never compared Edward to our beloved Fox(sad news about David though eh?) - and i am well aware that Bella ain't no Dana - in fact there are a lot of things i don't get about Bella. i get Edward though and that's what i love - oh and i love you, too, of course:)