Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cali

December 8th and the kids and I are off - to the desert and the oranges - Jeff joined us on the 12th. I've had quite a few people question how I travel and go so many places by myself with three little-uns. The answer to this question is also three-fold.

1. Because I've got good kids.
2. Because I am the extreme opposite of a homebody.
3. Because I must.
I've told more people (strangers) than I can count, "If I didn't bring the kids, I'd never go anywhere!"

On a nearly DAILY basis I have comments made to me about having 3 little kids. "Looks like you've got your hands full" is the flat out favorite comment of strangers who for some reason love to talk to me.
On this trip out I got quite a few comments, even though the kids were super good and we didn't have any problems or interrupt the other passengers' precious serenity. Can you tell I'm a little bitter about kid-haters? Well if you can't then I'll state it VERY plainly, I HATE kid-haters. These are those that see a kid and immediately assume they are going to "be a problem". Yeah right old guy or lady, or middle aged guy or lady - like you're such a peach yourself?

Ok, back to the task at hand. The joy of travel!

So we made it to Cali, Palm Springs to be exact, and breathed warm orange scented air. Then we coughed a bit because some idiot was smoking. See it's so warm there that practically the whole airport is outside - the only place that smokers can smoke now in California. Lucky us.

We continued on to La Quinta, where my parents' house sits on the edge of the desert. This is where I fell behind in my blogging.

Reason # 1
My family has Rock Band 2.

And I L-O-V-E-D it.

You have to understand something: I H-A-T-E video games. I didn't plan to play, only to watch my brothers, Mom, and Jeff. I planned to sit and laugh and maybe even take some pictures so that I could laugh again later.

Instead. . . I sang. . .I played lead guitar. . .I played Bass guitar. . . I played drums. . . I stayed up till 3 am playing (more than once). . .rockin'. And I never took a single picture. Seriously, I was too busy rockin'.

And now I spend a good portion of every day wishing that I had Rock Band. This I have found is tricky proposition when you don't own any kind of video game equipment whatsoever.

Reason #2
We made GALLONS of orange juice from my parents' orange trees. Yeah that's right, we'd walk about 10 feet, fill 2 Walmart bags to near explosion and then juice and juice and juice. We did this 5 or 6 times and when we left there were still oranges on the trees.
We also made homemade lemonade for the first time from the lemons on the trees at my parents rental house. Jealous? Frankly, you should be.




Reason #3
California. We had way too much fun.

Capri saw the Nutcracker with my Dad - just the two of them.


Rome and Sable closed the Chuck E Cheese with my Mom, Josh and Erin (my brother Dan's girlfriend, Dan is serving a mission in England).

Capri fell madly in love with Erin.


We helped pick out my parents' Christmas tree. Well actually we were there, and Dad bought pretty much the first one he found.





Made s'mores and sat in the hot tub.

Went to Candy Cane Lane.



The kids used Spencer and Josh as their own personal trampolines.

We ATE and ATE and ATE. Out and in, fancy and non. My mom cooked her famous pasta and made my family's traditional Christmas Eve (although not actually on Christmas Eve) meat fondue.



Jeff and I turned 32. Sigh.



Dazzled everyone at church with the kids' cuteness.



Had "Christmas".




We went for long walks in the desert behind my parents' house.

We talked, and laughed, and missed my brothers, Rob and Dan.

The 22nd came all too soon and we found ourselves flying back to the cold and snow. We wrestled with seat changes, and the fact that it was costing us $90 just to fly our bags back and forth. We didn't have to wrestle with the kids too much and we made it back to KC tired and happy to be home.

But a little sad. . .Gramma and Papa, Uncle Spencer, Uncle Josh, Erin, and Mac the dog are now so far away again. We hear the oranges are all but gone, and my parents' house is quiet. The kids are already talking about "next time", and I'm wondering when that will actually be. Whenever it is however, we'll be ready to brave the kid-haters once again - if only to get a taste of that orange juice.

10 luvs:

Erin said...

What a fun trip! And I totally agree with you about Rock Band. We played while in Spokane and I told Ryan thats what I wanted for Christmas. I can't imagine why he didn't get it for me. Maybe next year!

Rachel Kirkham said...

Yay for the Calisters! I love you guys and am so glad you guys had so much fun! P.S. I'm obsessed with Rock Band too...totally addicting!

aLi said...

Divine.

Take me next time, too. Please!

LaShaunna said...

Sounds like a fun trip. I know how you feel about getting comments from people everytime you go out. I get the "wow, looks like you've got your hands full!" comments every time I go anywhere with the three kids.

Jan said...

WOW, can I come with you next time?

Emily said...

LOVE this entire post. Love the pictures, the captions. I loved reading about all the fun you had with your family. What a great trip. I have to say that the picture of your dad and Capri about made me cry. Yeah, it's that cute. I love you guys!!!

Josh said...

I feel I need to defend myself for the picture in which I look like some sort of modern, satirical, degenerate throwback to a medieval king, what with me spearing meat and wearing a crown, while my mom, ever eager to serve, leans over to feed jello to me and the prince next to me. I don't remember that picture being taken, and am in fact fairly certain that you made it in photoshop. That being said, the fondu was delicious, and the jello, as always, rocked. Long live the king.

Alonso Family said...

i am glad you had so much fun. i am also glad i have some memories of your parents house and the desert to follow along better with your stories. it really is beautiful there.

as for those kid-hater comments, i don't get those comments very often at all and i don't think i will even with 3, thanks to the fact that we live in Utah. 3 is nothing, right! i have had my share of stares though when out of state. stupid people, i feel sorry for them, they don't know what they are missing.

elizabeth said...

I miss the desert and oranges already too. Looks like you had a really fun Christmas. Yes, I am jealous.

Every Star Is Different said...

You are my inspiration! Perhaps someday I'll get the nerve to take the kids on a trip by myself. With that said the memory of dragging both kids out of McDonalds last night (by myself) because Owen was having a melt down is still VERY vivid in my mind. Adam was in the baby carrier in one arm. Owen, dinner, and my wallet in the other arm. My pockets were stuffed with Adam's bottle, the keys, and Owen's shoe that just so happened to fall off as we walked out the door. So perhaps it won't be that soon. But someday I'll get there!