Rome has been having some problems sleeping the last few days. Not with going to sleep, but with staying asleep without waking up screaming and crying. This is new for us, our kids have always been good sleepers. Seriously, it's like their true talents - all 3 of them. They all sleep in their beds, through the night, and have done so pretty much their whole lives. Nightmares are a VERY rare occurance, in fact I think Capri has told us she had a bad dream maybe twice in her life.
A few days ago however, Rome was sick with a fever and had fallen asleep on the couch by Jeff. I was out with the girls and when we got home, Rome woke up crying and was VERY VERY distressed. It was like nothing I've ever seen. He was so upset and I could not console him no matter what I did. He was incomprehensible, we couldn't understand hardly anything that came out of his mouth. It was like some scary evangelist speaking in tongues. To top it off, and this was the really weird part - he would NOT look at me or Jeff. I'd say, "Rome, look at me with your eyes" and he'd say "OK" (that was the one thing we COULD understand) and would act like he was trying to look at us. Instead his eyes would be way over to the side, like he couldn't see us. It freaked me out, but eventually he calmed down and laid on the couch.
For the last couple nights he's woken up crying and upset. Not as bad as that first night but very similar. Last night he was pretty bad, all I could understand him saying was that he wanted daddy, and that something kept moving fast. Then he'd sort of point in the direction of his dresser. A few minutes ago he woke up from a nap on the couch and was crying and upset, but seemed awake. Again his speech was so slurred that I couldn't understand him. Now he's sitting on my lap and seems fine.
I'm not really sure what's going on. A friend suggested that it may be a type of sleep walking, like he's asleep and that's why his speech is slurred and can't seem to see me. Then I remembered an episode of House where a kid was having night terrors. I looked them up online but they don't seem to be exactly what Rome has been experience, similar but not exact.
So I'm wondering if anybody has an idea of what this could be. I know there are a lot of mom's and doctor's wives out there, got any suggestions? Have any of you had kids with night terrors, does this sound familiar to what you experienced?
Monday, January 19, 2009
Night Terrors?
Posted by Aby Runyan at 1:41 PM
Labels: Rome, The Littles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 luvs:
Aby- it could be a couple of things. The most likely would be some sort of parasomnia (like sleep terror), or a febrile seizure (seizure as a result of a high fever). I definitely would take him to the pediatrician if it continues. If it was the result of a fever it probably won't happen again. --GO
One of the children I nannied had night terrors. The reason he won't look at you and you can't console him, is because he is still sleeping and in the "terror," except with his eyes open. It's really freaky and you feel completely helpless. All you can do at that point is keep him safe, especially if he is thrashing. Sometimes it is a result of a growth spurt and/or a major change in his life. I too had them as a child, right as the new school year would begin. They would go on for a couple of weeks, but then stop once I made the transition. Of course they may be a result of other things too, the seizure thing is a possiblity, but slim. The worst possible conclusion to make is that something happened to him that you are not aware of and the only way he is expressing it is through nightmares. I have experienced this too. And then, the other idea would be to back track to see what went on the days leading up to the terrors. Did he watch any new movies that may have scared him? Did he go somewhere you normally don't go? Anyways, just some thoughts. Good luck!
Ok, I don't have any ideas about what it could be, but I just wanted to tell you that I love you and I hope you can figure out whats happening. You are a great Mom! Love you, love you, love you!
Hey Aby,
I'm so sorry to hear about the night terrors. My little nephew has had those a lot lately. You also need to talk to Kristy Marchant. Belen had a lot of those. Unfortunately most doctors say that they don't know what causes them and there isn't much you can do. Just make sure they're in a safe place to where they can't hurt themselves and just try to reassure and comfort them. If you hear any other good suggestions, let us know!
Love, Brandi
PS-I delivered at Liberty.
I'm so sorry Aby. Night terrors are def a possibility. Let me know if there is anything I can do...maybe you could keep a journal of what is going on...when it happens, how long it lasts, etc...
Juliette was sleep walking again the other night and I found her at the top of the stairs!
that sounds really rough...hopefully by now it isn't happening anymore but for sure if it happens again and you haven't already...give him a blessing. i hope you don't have to deal with this for long...love ya!
Post a Comment