Here in the Runyan household we subscribe less to the ever growing in popularity, "three gift" take to Christmas, and more to the less popular (but I contend far more fun) "three Christmases" take to Christmas.
This year was no exception, the presents abounded, and abounded, and abounded. What bad economy? You sure could've fooled me.
Our first Christmas was of course in La Quinta, where Capri nearly died with excitement when my brother Josh gave her a Mariposa Barbie. Seriously, she nearly had a heart attack.
That clip was taken on the Flip recorder that my parents gave Jeff and I. Yeah that's right, I can now post video clips. Start the rejoicing. Come on, REJOICE! (That bonus footage after Capri opens her gift is our family dog Mac, who is in his 80's. Mac gets presents for Christmas too which he unwraps all by himself and then destroys as quickly as possible.)
Jeff got a tennis racket from my bros, which conveniently came with a picture of himself right on the front.
Returning home to Kansas City we celebrated our second Christmas on Christmas Eve with the whole Runyan, Sirois, Clark Clan. It was mass chaos, there were more presents than could be counted. Ours made up a small hill in Katie's living room. Santa even made a surprise visit, as he did last year. Uncle Jonny seems to have a knack for getting him to make a personal visit. Thanks again to Jon and Katie for offering their house up to family madness once again.
Sable has NO problem opening presents, she's got quite a talent for it actually.
Baby conference
Our cutie patootie new nephew Topher
Cousins
Once we'd got back home, the kids took baths and put on the jammers that Gramma had made for them. We read "The Night Before Christmas", the Bible, and the very last card in our Advent box. The marker was moved to the last spot on the Christmas train.
Christmas day, Jeff and I actually woke up before the kids. We had family coming later in the day and wanted to be through the presents without having to hurry before they all came. Just as we were saying, "we may have to actually WAKE THEM UP", we heard Rome's door open and his feet patter down the hall.
"OHHHHH my goodness," we heard him exclaim, "Santa Claus came!" And then the part that made us both smile, "I've gotta go tell Capri!"
Jeff and I looked a little beleaguered from a long night of wrapping ten tons of presents and watching both "A Christmas Carol" and "It's a Wonderful Life".
Our presents to each other were just what we'd told each other we wanted. Jeff wanted CASH, he was saving up to buy massages (pretty much his FAVORITE thing EVER). And I got CASH to go to an all-day crop at Archivers (pretty much my FAVORITE thing EVER).
Santa got the kid's letters, cause they each got just what they'd asked for.
Capri's Rock & Roll Barbie
Rome's Diego car track
Sable's shopping cart
It took a couple of weeks to open all the presents out of their packages. In fact, I think there is a least one that has yet to be broken into. And the box that my mom had to mail to us containing most of the stuff we received in La Quinta has yet to arrive. So maybe it's gonna be more like FOUR Christmases!
It was one of the very merriest Christmases I can remember. No, it's NOT all about gifts. But see, to me Christmas is the ONE time of year where you can go WAAY overboard. That's why I don't like the "three gifts" Christmas that I keep hearing about. The whole want / need / read idea is just. . . well I'll go ahead and say it. . .boring to me.
Personally, I ascribe to the same theory of Christmas giddiness that both my parents brought me up with. Christmas morning in the Callister household was fueled by my Dad's sheer joy for the day and his desire to make each of us light up just as bright as the tree. We were always met by a mountain of gifts in our living room. Did we end up spoiled? I guess you'd have to ask my parents that one. But I don't think we are. Each of us kids love each other fiercely. We love our parents, we hope we tell them that enough. I know that my brothers would give anything they own to a friend or family member in need, and I feel as though I'd do the same. So no, I don't think we ended up spoiled. And I don't worry about my own kids becoming so, they are bright and compassionate. They honestly care for others, and were honestly surprised when Santa brought them more than they'd asked for. I suppose I should step down off my soapbox now.
It was a great morning followed by two conversations with my brothers Rob and Dan on their missions. The house was filled with relatives as Jeff and I wandered around, both on receivers listening to those two boys we love and miss so much. They are both doing amazingly well, and are tearing up both England and Italy.
This is an AMAZING time to be here on earth. I thank the Lord for his gifts both physical AND spiritual.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Three Christmases
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 luvs:
I must admit, that out of my household, I am the Christmas Nut. Jason says I'm crazy. As a child our Christmas' were amazing. Lots of gifts, lot of food, lots of family...etc. Oh how I hope someday we can do that for our children. I have already started shopping for this year's holidays. Okay, and another confession. We go with the three Christmas presents for our kids because we too have three Christmas celebrations. One with my family and one with Jason's family. Grandmas, Aunts and Uncles tend to go way overboard, which is nice. So because Adam and Owen are so young and don't know where the gifts come from... Hopefully by the end of this year we'll be in a better financial situation to do more. But as you can see, Jason and I did not give only 3 gifts to each other-but twelve. I'm working on a scheme to convince him that someday we can get the kids that much stuff too!
I really enjoy reading your blog and loved the video. We have a camera that allows us to do that too, I just haven't gotten gutsy enough to try it. I love you honesty and bluntness. Jason said we would get along. I think he's right!
What is the 3-gift Christmas? We've never heard of it. It sounds like you get one thing you need, one thing you want, and one thing to read? Interesting. Anyway, great blog, love all the pictures!!
love, Karen
Capri's and Rome's PJs look sort of like they fit but poor Sable may be wearing that pair for the next three years. Sorry about that! Personally I think the three gift thing is a communist plot.
i love Capri's reaction to the Mariposa doll! so sweet!
Post a Comment