Friday, March 6, 2009

Drunk & DEFINITELY Disorderly

1:15 am

A woman screaming.

A brawl in the street.

A barefoot off-duty cop.

The F-word used approximately 1.3 MILLION times (not by the barefoot off-duty cop).

A knocked out tooth.

Suicide threats.

A nervous wife to the barefoot off-duty cop standing in her doorway with the storm door propped open while holding a phone for nearly an hour and a half.


Is it an episode of COPS?

No.

Maybe Law and Order?

NO.

A new Cop reality show then??

NO!

Is it one of our drunken next door neighbors and his live-in girlfriend having a very loud domestic dispute in the middle of our street?

YES!!

And in a test of his true metal, Jeff shone. No uniform, no bullet proof vest, no gun, no badge, no partner - and like I mentioned, NO shoes.
He handled the situation so calmly, so professionally. I was more than impressed, MORE than proud.

Jeff said it was as close as he's ever gotten to having to fight somebody, this guy was VERY drunk and is twice Jeff's size. If he'd been on a call (on duty) he'd have of course shown up with another cop and would have had the guy in cuffs from the get-go and there wouldn't have been an on-going threat of a possible fight.
Why didn't we just call the cops and hand it over? As Jeff put it, "I don't want to be the guy who has our neighbor hauled off to jail to sleep it off." And I had to concur, no matter how badly I wanted to call.

The thing is that we've lived next to these neighbors for 3 1/2 years and other than some loud drunken parties we've actually had no problems with them. We suscribe to the live and let live policy and so do they. We're cordial and friendly with each other but until the other night DID NOT know their names. In fact we referred to one of them (not the one that was drunk that night) as "Kid Rock" because that's who he reminds us of.
Therefore, we didn't want to inadvertently start some kind of neighbor feud. I already sort-of started one of those with the people that live behind us by VERY nicely and VERY calmly telling their 12 year old daughter and her friend that it really wasn't OK to have their lemonade stand in our yard without asking. The mom DID NOT like this and was extremely vocal in telling me so.
Instead, Jeff did his duty as a cop, as a neighbor, and as a human being. NO other people came out to help or even poked their head out of their door. Nice huh? It could have been that because most people on our street know Jeff is a cop they figured that he had it handled and should just keep out of the way. Still. . .

Back to live and let live.

Stupid alcohol.

8 luvs:

Anonymous said...

It's been pretty weather for a few days, and it must be good fightin' weather. At Wal-Mart yesterday I saw two skinny guys with long dorky looking shorts calling one another out. One was holding his child. He kept saying, "I got my kid, Man! Go ahead and hit me!" The other guy kept yelling "Put him down!!" Plus...many versions of the F word creatively combined with others. A nice beefy security man broke up the fight. Then, a few minutes later, I overheard three girls in the Wal-Mart talking about some other girl throwing a bottle and breaking another girl's windshield. They said, "I didn't know she could fight so good!!!" It was reportedly a fight over a "Baby Daddy". Ahhh...spring...

Sabra's Mom

Every Star Is Different said...

I can't wait to have Jason read this post. After reading the last two he said he now is more intrigued than he already was about Jeff's job and has even more questions about what he does. Besides the link about Jeff's job though, Jason and I have had our own little experience in this house already, one that still causes nightmares and slight moments of panic. Although Jason is NOT a cop, nor can I ever picture him trying to physically defend our family (hence the golf club underneath the bed).

Auburn is known for is maximum security prison. Family members of the prisoners move to Auburn to be close to loved ones and bring their way of life with them...gangs...etc. Jason worked at Cayuga Home for Children last year, a residential facility for adolescents. As part of many weeks of training he was required to have "gang training." If I recall it lasted a week. From that he learned to identify gangs from words, signs, colors, clothes...etc.

One Sunday night last year we heard a large crowd walking down the street. It was around 10:30 PM. I said to call the cops. Jason said no. We made sure no one looked out the window, just in case we were identified and then became a target. The crowd left. Forty-five minutes later the crowd came back, chanting, yelling... Then a fight broke out. It got closer and closer and then they were on our porch. I've never seen Jason move so fast to get to a phone. Someone tried to get into the house to get away. The others were trying to kill him. It was just minutes before that Jason had locked the door. Then they all split up and ran. The cops showed up 20 minutes later. The next morning I found some siding knocked off the side of the house near the door, a cigarette, and mud all over Owen's toys. To this day we still don't know who it was or what happened. We do know though, that if ever a threat is made against Jason (as has happened before) or our family, we have to pick up and move because of the people he works with and has worked with in the past. Anyways, I just had to share our story. We had neighbors that were drunks too in VA. I called the cops on them once when there was a threat to kill and a gun. Shortly there after they ended up in Jason's office. Luckily they weren't his clients. Jason didn't tell me this, the neighbors did.

Lewis Family said...

whew! Good job, Jeff! and good being patient and brave, Abi!

Lewis Family said...

Aby.

The Wehrmeister's said...

What a good guy! My motto for Adam is "Don't be the Hero". I told him to faint if there is ever a robbery or anything... or run. I'd be okay with that reaction too.

Way to go Jeff.

emily and adrian said...

Wow! If only you had it on video...then you could quietly place it on his doorstep the next day. Maybe if Kid Rock knew what an idiot he had been, it would prevent further incident...then again, whatev..he'd just get drunk again. Crazy! Way to go Jeff...I am impressed, way impressed. I would have gone outside and told the guy to shut the F up...really, and then he would have hit me.

Alonso Family said...

yo Flabby Aby! i love that name, why did i never think of it before...oh because you ain't flabby sister! you are funny though and so is that name so it's a shame i can't use it:) btw, this story is Awesome but only after the fact of course when no harm done except who lost the tooth?

Heather said...

Your neighbors are SO much more exciting than ours. I love your motto, and I'm proud of Jeff. I would have done what Emily suggested. And got hit.