Thursday, March 19, 2009

plaid star

Eleven years ago I started to find my creativity. It began one summer when I decided to paint an old dresser that had sat in my family's garage. It was a tall, yellow dresser and had been mine when I was a little kid. Suddenly I thought I had it in me to change that dresser. It took the whole summer, lots of acrylic paint in small bottles, and a spill that stained my carpet blue - but I finished. I covered every square inch of that dresser, and was actually happy with how it came out.

From that dresser the term "plaid star" was born.

To me, the definition of a plaid star is one that is stands out different against the rest. In a sea of bright, shining white a plaid star stands apart. But it has it's OWN kind of beauty.
I suppose I've been a plaid star my whole life. Growing up LDS made me different from pretty much everybody I knew on the east coast. Then when I joined the sea of Mormons in Utah for school I found myself a plaid star once again because I was an "east coast" Mormon and that made me VERY different. Here in Missouri I feel like a plaid star on a daily basis, some because of just who I am in general.

Lately I've heard the term "blunt" thrown in my general direction. I've heard this my whole life, but it always comes in waves and right now I'm bobbing. I don't really think of myself as blunt. I've always tried to be honest, especially with myself. I am my own worst critic. I have opinions, but they change all the time. I'm a different person that I was a dozen years ago opinion-wise. I say what I'm thinking. This has gotten me in trouble a LOT in my life. For the most part I've accepted that, but it's still left me with more tears on my cheeks than I care to remember. I'm a fighter, I argue a LOT. Blame my Dad for this one, he taught me to stick up for what I want no matter what. Many times I'm wrong, but I'm always proud of myself for standing up. I'm always glad that I've said something when it needed to be heard, even if it wasn't popular.

We are all plaid stars to somebody else anytime we move out of our comfort zone and are different. I love it especially when women are honest with who they are. When they abandon the sickly sweet fake smile they've plastered on their face and let others actually see them. When they have opinions, and SHARE them. I've watched that fake smile change to a real one, then they truly shine.

When I started having kids I felt my creativity start to fade. The sketchbook with all my "grand ideas" was stuffed in my nightstand, at one point I even forgot it existed. I still did projects, and was crafty but the creativity that once was such a big part of me was very hard to find.

But. . .suddenly.

It's back.

I give the credit to my Brother sewing machine.

Nursery Lunch Bag

Diaper Bag


Crayon Roll

Superhero Garb

Puppy Bag

Hedgehog Family

Strawberry Hat

Primary Music Bag

Perfect they are not. But they lived in my head and now they are real. This makes me happy. There's more, but until they are shipped away to their new homes I can't post them.

So here's to plaid star, and everything it's meant to me for over a decade. Here's to hoping (really, knowing) that my children will grow up to be plaid stars, and will never be afraid to honk at dumb drivers. That's right midwesterners, honk.

12 luvs:

The Wehrmeister's said...

You are great Aby. You are talented and creative and important. I love reading your entries, because they make me think. I enjoy you.

I'm going to bed now. It's midnight.

Alonso Family said...

you are the most beautiful plaid star ever! i love your creative mind. if i could ever have a room in my house set aside to inspire creativity for my kids, it would be you who i would want to design and paint it. You need to read this book called "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli. then read it to your kids again and again as they grow up.

my sister Kenna's Jr High School where she was vice principal (she's a principal now at an Elementray school as of 2 weeks ago) got this book for every student and made it into the years theme. it's a real quick little read about the "celebration of nonconformity." all about being yourself and it's okay to be different. i really loved it and know you will too. i love you for being you! thanks for sharing!

Every Star Is Different said...

Okay, so I LOVE the dresser. Jason and I have been trying to find a step stool for Owen for the kitchen. I explained to Jason I wanted a "special" one, just for him, painted and decorated, fit to his interests. I figure, if I hand down clothes they wore, to their future wives, they probably won't be worn, so I'm trying to think of other things-like their special baby quilts, step stools, etc. As Jason and I were looking, he said that we should have you paint one for us. At that point in time I had NO CLUE you were so talented at that stuff. I believe he was right. It's too bad you live so far away! We still haven't purchased one.

Your projects are pretty cool. I LOVE the dresser. They are all so bright and cheerful. I really like the crayon holder idea, especially after Owen dropped his box of crayons in sacrament meeting twice today with loud crashes.

We've already discussed your "honesty" and how much I love that about you, because it makes us very much alike and also because you're so easy to figure out. There's no guessing game. That's such a relief. That fake smile thing drives me crazy. You are so great! The plaid star thing is pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

Aby,
You are very talented. Have you ever thought about selling some of these wonderful items? You have a gift!!!
xoxo,
a

Merinda Cutler said...

Did I ever tell you I had a table I intended to fly you out to paint for me. It was this giant square coffee table thing from my childhood. I had a great idea to paint several board game boards on it, but knew it was a job for Aby, not me. I guess I didn't ever get so far as to tell you my evil plan. And while I was getting around to it, Rich talked me into bequeathing it to Goodwill. Sigh. I do still have a black-and-white groovy painted Christmas ornament from you. I so admire your creative abilities, but even more your ability to just get it done, perfect or not (though all of these examples look perfect to me!). You're amazing, Aby!

Erin said...

I love your creativity Aby! Remeber the coffee table from DI that you painted? So fun! I wish I were closer to you so I could experience your creativity for myself!

This Is Our Heaven.... said...

I LOVE that dresser!! You are so talented girl!! I wish that I had some of that creativity!

To change the font on my blog, first go to your blog. Click on customize, then edit html. Next, in a new window, go to http://www.leeloublogs.blogspot.com/. When you are there, right click and click on view page source. Scroll down and wherever you see Kristen ITC, find that same spot on yours and change yours to the kristen itc font. there are a lot of them, so look for all of them.

That is the only font that I know how to do though. I'm still trying to figure it out. I hope it works for you!! =O) (and that that made sense. lol.)

good luck!

Every Star Is Different said...

Thanks for the comments Aby. Jeff and I are very similar when it comes to the scriptures. This week I have struggled to get in my scripture time and I can feel it. Luckily this morning Adam woke up early so I had some time to dive in again. And the allergies... it turns out I have a cold. I just hope I caught it from Adam, and that it's not another that will make it's way through the family. I hope you have a great day!

elizabeth said...

That dresser is AMAZING!! Pretty much everything is. I don't care if you are blunt or not, I like your personality regardless.

Heather said...

THE thing I love most about you is your "blunt" honesty. You are real, and unfortunately, that's hard to come by sometimes. I'm glad to have friends like you, and I'm happy to hear that Aby got her groove back.

Emily said...

I'm requesting that your family get our family in the Christmas present exchange this year. And then I'm going to insist that all gifts must be handmade. These are so good Aby! Love that crayon roll. And the strawberry hat? Adorable! But my fave is the Hedgehog family.

Hillary Sperry said...

Oh my gosh I started thinking I would list my favorites! But I can't (thought the diaper bag is incredible! what fabric is that?) They are all fabulous! Have you heard about etsy.com? You should have a shop. Let me know if you ever do. The super hero stuff is fabulous too. And the music bag... yeah all of it!