Saturday, March 28, 2009

O! What a City.

Last Saturday we took the trek to Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo for the first time. Jeff's sister Regina mentioned her family was going and we of course decided to tag along.
It's an amazing place and is more like a trip to Seaworld than a trip to the zoo. We visited the desert, caves, a swamp, rainforest, an ocean, the artic, and a butterfly garden all in the confines of Nebraska! They have an amazing amount of animals there, the gorilla house is NEVER ending. Seriously, you've never seen so many gorillas. And I contend that they have EVERY SINGLE species of snake on the planet. I am not exaggerating. There are snake displays every where, every crack, every crevice. It's really a little creepy.
In the "Desert Dome", which is quite literally a giant dome with a desert in it, there were cage after cage of hummingbirds. So totally cool. And owls, the kids and I were loving it. We really love the birds at the zoo, the Australia aviary is one of our most favorite places at the KC zoo. But the lone owl there is IMPOSSIBLE to find. They even had bears, that's right BEARS. The KC Zoo has not one single bear. Not ONE.
The aquarium was a hit with it's tunnel you could walk through and under all the sharks, sting rays and fishies. We sat and chilled with the sea life for a good 20 min.
Oh and the bats, the bats were hilarious. In the "cave" we'd put our faces right up the wire mesh barrier and a bit would immediately fly right up to our face and spit on us. At least we were hoping it was spit. Think that's gross? Oh relax.
While we had a great time, avoided major fits, and saw everything we set out to see - I came out of it appreciating our little KC Zoo. We already love our zoo, as manifested by our dozens of trips there, but this trip made me really feel glad to have a close-by more simple zoo where you just pop over, take a walk, and see a few animals along the way.
We all met up at Cracker Barrel on the way home. Mmmmm, Cracker Barrel meatloaf.
Our only complaint? Omaha's very sad motto, "O! What a City." Rough. After getting on the highway while leaving we saw a giant wild turkey, alive, by the side of the road. Jeff and I decided that a MUCH better city motto would be "Omaha, where turkeys wait by the side of the road". I know that would peak MY interest as a potential visitor.





8 luvs:

Every Star Is Different said...

I love your new state motto. Definitely a keeper! Sounds like a crazy zoo, but such an adventure. Your children always look SO happy. I'd write more but it's still just shy of 7 AM, Adam has been awake since before 6 AM with that wonderful cold of his, and I still am yet to function. Let me clarify, Jason got up with him and I relieve Jason at 6:45 AM. I am not a morning person. I always thought I was, but that's because by the time I did actually socialize with people, I had been up for a few hours and was ready. This whole being woken up by kids thing-totally annoying.

One more thing-I am very anxious to see your blog post about your favorite gifts!

Erin said...

What good parents youare to take the kiddos to the zoo. Ryan and I hate the zoo and never take our kids there.

You should try the skirt tutorial, it was easy. The hardest part was trying to figure out the sizing for Kate. Your girlies would look so cute in matching skirts!

This Is Our Heaven.... said...

My husband wants to go there so bad!! I've always heard that its pretty cool! =O) I'm glad you guys had a blast.

Emily said...

Oh my gosh! This post should have been titled "adorable pictures of the Runyan family." Especially that fist picture. Cute girls!!!!

elizabeth said...

What a lame name for a city. At least's KC's name is cool. I do like our little zoo here. Obviously not as cool as the infamous Omaha zoo, but still fun. Looked like a great weekend.

Hillary Sperry said...

haha! lovin jeff in the hippo!

Alonso Family said...

i love turkey!

Alonso Family said...

oh and you look really great in that first picture with Capri...i need to lose weight, doh!

hey be watching for an email from Stacie, i invited her to join our Chipman Hall Group but Al is not a fan of FB so she wants to email you for now. i also told her you would be visiting in June, so we should plan a get-together.