I was reminded of a true gem today by my Jeffy. Sometimes he's the smartest guy in the world.
"Listen to the Mustn'ts"
by Shell Silverstein
Listen to the MUSTN'TS , child.
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WONT'S
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me -
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.
by Shell Silverstein
Listen to the MUSTN'TS , child.
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WONT'S
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me -
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.
So I immediately went out and bought Where the Sidewalk Ends. How did I not already own it? That and A Light in the Attic were by far two of my most favorite books growing up. I read them over and over and over.
I feel better that it's now in my house. A Light in the Attic is soon to join, and the littles are soon to laugh and think and feel silly while reading these amazing poems.

7 luvs:
I love those books and as I read your blog I was wondering why I too don't have them. I just bought them on Amazon :)
Remember the one about the Baby Sitter? One of my favs!
XOXO
Sooooo good! You're right, how do I not have those in MY house???? I have such good memories of reading all the poems in my bed, laughing. Thanks for reminding me!!!
Yes! I love Shel Silverstein. One of my fave poems was the one where it says, "Oh heck, it's up to my neck!" I quote that one all the time.
And, yeah, I need to get those books in my house, too!
You're going to laugh or be completley shocked, that I did not recognize the poem, but do love it. It's a great thing to remember. There are so many quotes and stories about the negative feed back kids get compared to the possitive. I love those studies.
Now go out and get "Runny Babbit" which was published posthumously (did I spell that right?), and is really fun to read out loud. I heart shel silverstein.
btw, one of my favorites is "Lazy Jane".
We did have those books when you were young. Are they in a box somewhere packed away in Spencer's garage? I KNOW we owned them. I'm glad to know that Silverstein is still popular.
Post a Comment