Every summer our lovely friends the cicada killers return.
That would be if. . .
lovely = heinous
and. . .
friends = huge menacing thugs
They nest under our front stairs outside. Blechk. If you've never encountered one, consider yourself lucky. We fight them hard with boiling water poured down their burrow holes, and can after can of wasp killer. But they're TOUGH to kill, even a direct hit doesn't always take one down. We target the females even more, they're the ones that capture the cicadas and take them back to the hive. We swipe their dead cicada carcasses they leave lying by their burrow holes as they kill more. Seriously, blechk.
Yet they always return the next summer. Though we can tell their numbers are reduced because their buzzing reign over our front flower beds (which don't contain flowers but what do they care, they EAT cicadas) seems to end earlier every year.
Let the war begin.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
They're BAAACK
Posted by Aby Runyan at 8:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 luvs:
Sounds gross. I think we had those in VA, or something like it. Actually there were a lot of strange bugs in VA. I remember the first time I encountered this huge green thing in my dorm room. I literally screamed. Of course it was the middle of the night.
those things are like dumb, drunk wasps! I just vacuumed one up today. Yuck!
Yeah, those things are monsters... like a wasp that was created by Stephen King or something. I ran into one last summer watering some plants in the greenhouse. I figured if wanted to sting me, it'd make my head swell up to the size of a watermelon.
T.J.
Yes, I feel sorry for you and your wasps. We are so fortunate in La Quinta that summer only brings us black widow spiders, scorpions, rattle snakes . . .
Of course, we leave in the summer.
Boiling water sounds like a good idea. I should use that one.
Post a Comment