Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sunburns and Torrential Rain

We got both in one day.

I try oh so hard to utterly slather my littles in sunblock whenever we are out playing in the sun. Especially if that sun is going to be combined with water play. I suffered SO greatly from sun poisoning one summer when I was a stupid teen and didn't wear any block at the beach. I'd hate for them to have to face that too.
So yesterday, after the slathering, we went to the Spray Park at the Y.

(stock photo)

We all returned home with sunburns.

It's just so hard to leave that cool water and apparently 30 spf isn't enough. Dang it. Mom of the Year right here. I'd be a liar if I said the Spirit didn't warn me. Again.

After rests and MORE spring cleaning (I swear it'll never end) we headed out to got to a T-Bones baseball game. Our bank, Community America Credit Union holds a members meeting every year. The last two years they had a huge party with TONS of free stuff & activities at the T-Bones stadium followed by fireworks. THIS year, due to the economy I suppose, they didn't have the big party but instead gave members free tickets to the game.

I was less than thrilled and so were the littles. Sometimes change stinks. But we got the tickets and were going to the game.

After dinner at Cabellas, we drove over to the stadium which is near the Legends shopping center.

Any Kansas Citian would attest to the fact that yesterday was a HOT day.

When we got to the ballpark we realized our CRUMMY seats were directly in the blazing sun. Fabulous. There we were, sunburns and all, facing that sun again. So instead we stood in the shade watching the game and waiting for the sun to go down some. I forgot to bring the camera. Close your eyes, think of us - covered in sweat - and you'll have your own little photo.

I was really feeling sick from the heat, heat can really get to me, and wanted to just leave. The tickets were free anyway, we'd lose nothing. But I could see how excited the kids were to be there, heat and all, and Jeff was said he wanted to stay too.

Anway, the sun got a bit lower and the kids got antsy to get to our seats. Jeff kept insisiting he was fine, Rome agreed - but after a bit Capri, Sable and I took off to find some air conditioning.

We headed to Target for some diapers, and then to McDonalds for some cold drinks and to cool down. After a little bit, when it looked reasonably darker outside, I called Jeff to see where the game was at. It was the sixth inning and moving fast so we decided to head back to catch the last bit of the game and see the fireworks afterwards.

It was a LOT cooler when we got back. But the game had slowed down and was still in the 6th inning. A 4 to 4 tie continued on into extra innings. It started to get really cool and wonderful, the wind picking up from the North. 10th, 11th and then. . .the lighting. All of a sudden there was an announcement that the game had been delayed due to an incoming storm.

(stock photo)

Then came the tears.

All Rome wanted was the see the fireworks after the game. He had stuck out the whole darn thing like a little trooper and now the players were all leaving the field. No finish. No fireworks.

And then came the rain. We got to the concourse in the stadium and watched as they raced to cover the field. The wind picked up more and more until it VERY nearly picked up the tarp. A gigantic wave rushed through the tarp sending the field workers running to secure it. Then they STOOD on the tarp in the pouring rain at intervals all the way around to hold the thing down.

The lighting flashed over and over and over, the rain poured and the wind was SO incredibly strong. The weird thing was I don't remember hearing any thunder. How is that possible?

And if it had been just me and Jeff, we'd have stayed and watched the rest of "the show". Truly it was one of the neatest things I've ever seen.

But it was already 10:45pm, Rome was sobbing, and the littles were exhausted. So we headed home.

The storm grew stronger and stronger, with rain dumping down so fast that Jeff could barely see the street. But we made it home and got everybody to bed.

Some days I'm especially amazed at the majesty that is this earth and how the weather can turn on a dime. But this was a day I'll never forget.

3 luvs:

Every Star Is Different said...

Poor Rome. It breaks my heart to think about how devasted he must have been.

I used to love storms, especiall when they came across the river. At one point we lived on waterfront property. Our living room would had 4 HUGE windows overlooking the river. As storms would come in, especially at night I'd turn off the lights and watch in utter amazement.

Strangely, now I am frightened by storms, perhaps it's because there are trees all around our house. We had a microburst when I was little (mini tornado) It happened so fast, we were all upstairs. All I can remember next is Mom screaming from downstairs saying that there was a tree in our living room. We had to evacuate the house because my parents were fearful more trees would fall down. It was 4 AM. I remember crossing the street in my pjs with one of our neighbors, a guy who worked for the energy company, directing people and cars away from fallen down lines etc... It was pretty scary and devasting.

Anyways, it sounds like a crazy day!

Jan said...

I thought of your bout with sun poisoning the other day. What a terrible thing. What kind of mother lets her child get so sick on vacation? I am sorry for Rome - oh do I remember the days when disappointment was just overwhelming for one or other of the kids. Give him a big kiss for me and remind him that 4th of July fireworks are very close!

Rachel Kirkham said...

That stock photo of the sun looks a lot like the state of Arizona :)